Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Magnaflow

Options
I've seen these old circulators on a few job in our area....usually on radiant heating since they are high head, high volume; 3 amps. This one stopped working after almost 50 years of service.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=53&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Replacement

It can be tough to figure what kind of circulator to replace it with. This house only had one manifold and it was all 1/2" copper tubing going into the floor.

I chose a circulator with a flat curve - Taco 0010.

The job took me 2 hours last night after work (I'm slowing down as I get older); got done just in time to go vote. And yes, I know I installed the pump on the return, but this job will get a new boiler next year and I didn't want to do extensive re-piping only to rip it out later.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    high head?

Did you feel that the original Magnaflow was too high head? The 0010 seems to be more of a low head, high volume pump.

I once considered it as a replacement for a B&G 100 to reduce operating cost (similar performance curves), but it draws about the same current so the savings didn't seem to be there.

Mark
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    The Magnaflow

must've had a steep curve since I see it on jobs with old radiant done with a lot of 3/8" copper tubing. I think it was way overkill on this job; I figure no more than 8 gpm with 8-10' of head.

When I turned the system on, there was good flow thorough the boiler, a 20* temperature differential between the supply and return, no velocity noises and the boiler fired non-stop for as long as it took me to clean up my tools and get paid.

Man, was that old pump heavy!!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.