Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spooky Halloween Stories

Options
Mike Kraft
Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
I received a call the other evening around 9:30 PM.A no heat call.This is on a system I installed over 12 years ago.

The boiler is a LP fired HE-2 and the emitters are HWBB.Now I am not a service oriented company(I use the term company loosely :) ).I install,replace,alter and plumb.My biz is not there for servicing.My equipment is initially set-up by a tech of the HO's choosing (fuel company) or by my connection.I realize many of you if not all loathe the likes of what I am describing.

With this said and understood here is the symptoms:

Fan is proving,but no ignitor or gas.Soot is evident at burner and termination point(outside).HO has replaced HSI.ZV's are open and circ is running as is draft inducer.

The HO is in the building trades and does not have his boiler serviced,unless it aint running.This is a converstaion I have had with him over the years and one he continues to ignore.I gave him my opinion and my advice was to contact his fuel company and have a tech. come the next morning.

I did not hear from him again.After work yesterday I felt the urge to call him.He told me his LP company sent a technician the next AM promtly.His wife was in the basement with him...it went like this:

HSI's laying on the floor"Looks like those have been replaced."

"oh yes,my husband does that when needed."

"Hmmmmm(tech)dunno,I think its the brain!?"

Mrs.HO replies"The brain?"

Tech"Uh yeah you see this control,its the brain.But if you say your husband has replaced those ignitors he'll have no problem changing that!You'll save alot of $$ and I dont have that part anyway.It will need to be ordered."

Mrs.HO"well ok I'll page my husband.Thank-you and do you need a check now or will we be billed?"

The next step is Mr.HO contacts a tech who works for a HVAC CO. to trouble shoot and moonlight.The HO could not locate the control module.So the HO had cleaned the burners and waited for his tech.On arrival the tech turned the boiler on and watched.No ignition.HO tells me it was a bad porcelain right outside of the burner.I asked if it was the flame roll out switch?The HO said yeah thats it!!!He said the tech didnt have one and he just took it out and jumped it.The tech said that the flames look good on the burner.The HO said he didnt even charge me!

Fellas is it just me?These scenes happen all the time??Are fuel companies just about selling fuel?

cheese

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    horror story

no service tech should have diabled any safety switch and
    let the unit run the roll out switch keeps gases and flames
    out of the basement the service tech is doing the industry a
    disservice
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Mr. Cheese (not limburger either)

If many of the folks who are in this trade as you are, were more like you, the trade would be far better off and there would not be the loatheing you ascribe to. That Said, You did exactly correct. 12 years,no service by a tech, HO in his trade should have known better. Fuel supply Co.s who have less than "very expert" tech's is a scary note. A small contractor has the best he can muster, since he will be out of business in a flash (bang or sniff). He also knows enough not to bypass any safety control, except for conformation that it is broken and or ok!And that is a one time only thing,while he is on the job. Again, I support your side of the trade, We must all learn that no one person can do it all. Some must be at one place and someoneelse be at other places. I cannot build a boiler, design the house, figure the heat, make the safeties, install the systems, pay the help, keep the books, service the trucks, wash the windows. Thanks for taking your part in the scheme of things bigugh
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options

This is very scary! I had a customer with a HE boiler natural gas that was sooted up to the point of not pulling in the pressure switch, (no rollout as I remember). I spent the better part of 4 hours completely tearing down, scrubbing, and reassembling this boiler to get him heat on a rather chilly day. I can almost gaurantee that this boiler needs an immediate and thourough cleaning and inspection of the burners. My experience shows these burners are critical to proper air gas mixture, and any amount of dirt or corrosion will make them burn real quick. This boiler needs servicing now before disater strikes, ESPECIALLY with the rollout bypassed!
  • KentB
    KentB Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Scary Story

To answer your question - it happens all the time. The scary part (aside from the HO problems)is where the legal liability will fall.

The Fuel Co tech apparently missed the roll out switch when he guessed the 'brain'. The Fuel Co has a major liability when the house burns down or the CO kills the HO. The lawyers will go after the Fuel Co as the deepest pockets involved.

The HVAC Co has a liability because the tech can be said to have been working for them. Because he didn't charge the HO, that may not be proven as easily. If there was any invoice or receipt the sevice co will have to fire the tech the day they find out or they will have a liability. Defending that liability in court is likely to lead them to bankrupcy. They would probably be better off to declaring bankrupcy instead of going to court.

The 'moonlighting tech' has a liability for what happens to the HO. He will probably not be pursued legally unless he has some personal wealth the lawyers can get. However, most decent people will always remember the job they did that burned the house down or killed the HO.

I have been called out to check situations where the HO (or his wife) decided somthing wasn't right. In situations like this, I've turned off the fuel, told the HO what was wrong (in writing), and told him he needed to get it properly serviced. If the HO turns it back on or gets a 'moonlight service', then it is his choice, everyone behind me is clear of liability.
This discussion has been closed.