Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heater firing up...but no hot water at radiators..!

Options
Jimmy
Jimmy Member Posts: 1
Boiler sits in a shed about 15 yards from home and piping travels under ground to house. Initially boiler stopped working. A friends husband who supposedly does this for a living looked at the system. He tried to jump the transformer and BLEW IT OUT, and left a lot of wires dangling unmarked and not connected.
I insured the heater with the gas company and it seems like the repair man wanted nothing to do with the job and gave me what I believe is a bogus problem without looking much at the system. He told me the thermostat wire is bad and wouldn't be able to be fixed without digging!
The following season (this is at a beach home), my buddy who use to work at a plumbing supply house looked at the boiler...put the new transformer on, and spent a while trying to figure out the wiring and what connects where. When he was about to quit working on it..we looked at the zone valves (which I also replaced with new ones )under the house and I believe we left them (2 of them) in the manual open position. To our surprise we got heat to the floor radiators within a few minutes. The heater ran about two weeks in April before I shut it down for the season. MY HEATING BILL WAS VERY VERY HIGH for those two weeks that the heater ran in that billig period (possibly boiler running constantly?). The next season the heater didnt work.
Two weeks ago I saw two wires hanging off one of the zone valves under the house (crawl space). I reattached the wires where they looked like they should go (compared to the other zone valve). Touched inside thermostat wires together but heater didn't turn on. I saw a buss fuse 15V was burned out and I replaced it. When I did the heater fired up. Good pressure (12 lbs), good temperature in boiler (210 degrees)and pipes were hot coming off the boiler. No heat found at radiators and no air was bled from radiators (completely filled). We also noticed that the up stairs thermostat when put all the way up did fire the boiler up. However, when touching thermostat wires downstairs, it didn't fire up. Circulator pump on heater appears to be working fine (can hear it come on, then humm)when the thermostat on the second floor was turned up and heater kicked on. Why aren't the radiators getting warm in the house (again 15 yards from heater) even thou the pipes coming off the heater get warm...? The pipes on each side of each zone valve are cold....!!!!! No hot water getting to house!
Could the problem be the wires weren't put back correctly at the boiler...? How can I tell if the circulator pump isn't working or working right...? WHAT BURNED THE FUSE OUT..AND WHY WAS MY BILL SO EXPENSIVE FOR JUST TWO WEEKS IN APRIL THAT THE HEATER WAS ON....???? ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT : DREAMEYES7@AOL.COM. Thank you so much for your time!!!

Jimmy

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,358
    Options
    zap

You folks do like to live dangerously, eh?

Find a really good heating contractor in your area (try this site's find a contractor -- it often works). Confess your collective sins to him. Be prepared to pay a rather large bill; at the very least you have wiring problems and may have some burned out equipment here and there (besides the transformer).

Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, do not play with either 110 or gas by hand...

j
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Sure sounds like you need

some help. First all the thermostat is connected to the zone valve,once zone valve opens for heat that now tells control @ burner and cir. pump to come on. Touching the transformer together can blown then out and zone valves too. With zv in manual open system was feeding by gravity which caused the high bill. This is the type of call we all hate but it can be fixed easy maybe by a good tech. Hope this helps John@Reliable
This discussion has been closed.