Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GV Boiler intake sounds like 747

Got this one sent to me - I told him get the contractor back and drop the intake within 12" of the floor in the corner of the mechanical room and insulate above the intake - maybe have the boiler intake upsized to 6 inch......maybe the front porch wasn't the best place. Why didn't the contractor run the intake to the roof like the exhaust?

Remember when I spoke of the volume of noise from the exhaust of the GV6? It's nothing compared to the intake, which is connected to the front porch via a 4" pvc pipe. It sounds like a 747 idling on the runway. (I joke about it, but it really is horrendous.) It currently has no cap on it.

Is there any kind of noise buffering device that would dramatically reduce the noise volume at the intake?

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Seen some creative

homemade mufflers on these. The exhaust and intake really should be together, preferably at the roof :) Same pressure zone is how it's been explained to me. Not sure why you would run one up without the other?

Anything you do to restrict the intake will reduce the output of that boiler, as you know. As you choke off the air that gas valve starts scaleing back. There is a formula that tells how much you lose as fittings and pipe length increases.

I advise against pulling combustion air from the room it's located in. You will need grills to allow air into that room. Might as well go to a regular, vented through the roof boiler in that case, and lose the fan altogether!

Oversizing the intake would do little to quiet that "vacumn cleaner blower" I'm afraid.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    noise

Is the intake connected to the burner or a duct into the boiler room ? Is the 4" intake pipe PVC? Pvc is great stuff but it does transmit sound better then metal pipe. Try changing that intake pipe to sheetmetal and some metal flex to dampen the sound transmission qualty & quantity. That 12 in. from the floor dimension is good if the intake is a vent into the mechanical room. But then you should also build an 18 in. high box around the vent at least twice the diameter of the intake duct to help control cold air spillage onto the floor of the mechanical room
  • kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Noisy GV

the GV boiler is very noisy when the intake is not connected to it. It realy should be connected.

kf
This discussion has been closed.