Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converted gravity hw system

Options
J.C.A.
J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
Ask Glenn Stanton for some drawings . He has set more than one of US in the right direction when it comes to by-pass piping .The Burnham heating guide also has some of the same pictures that have been posted here . One other option is to hit the search button and type in "gravity conversion" or "By-pass piping " . I bet you'll come up with something . Good luck . Chris.

Comments

• Todd
    Todd Member Posts: 2
    Options

Where can I find some piping diagrams that give me options on differernt types of bypass setups.
  • Todd
    Todd Member Posts: 2
    Options

Where can I find some piping diagrams that give me options on differernt types of bypass setups. I'm going to use a g115-34 and I'm more concerned about flue gas condensation than boiler shock as I feel this boiler should handle it, or is that a mistaken assumption?
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    Primary /Secondary

with out door reset. Be careful of the huge mass of water that you are dealing with. Gravity systems need some special attention to detail.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    wander to...

the heating Q&A section at the top of the page. It has some helpful information kpc
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Common mistakes

The G115 still needs protection from thermal shock and return temps below 135 deg.F. Use a 4 way valve for optimimum control on a gravity conversion or you may be getting both thermal shock and have a condensation problem. Gravity systems are notorious for sending back 70 deg. water on startup. I use a continuous circulation method with a motorized 4 way. It's simple, yet sophisticated. If you don't want to use the Buderus controls, use the Tekmar setup for 4 way.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Options
    more info

Thanks for all the tips. We spoke to Buderus they weren't too concerned with shocking the boiler but they did give me a neat, simple, and inexpensive idea. Mount an aquastat on the supply that makes on rise and set it to 110 this is to prevent the circ from running untill its got some good temperature on the boiler.
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    rain forest

effect in a cast iron vessel can't be a good thing. I admit that I don't have alot of experience with this particular boiler, but it hard to believe that they wouldn't want a little more consideration for the long term health of their boiler. These systems have a huge amount of water to deal with on top of the fact that alot of the times they have piping running up the exterior walls with little or no insulation around them. The water sitting in that piping gets pretty cold.Brrrr
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Options
    rain

I know what you mean. I would have liked to use a mixing valve or some p/s piping. The chimney is getting lined 2-new oil tanks and boiler so they wanted to keep it in the budget. We also decided to let this system run for a season and then see how we might improve it. These boilers are excellant and the 215 series has a unique internal mixing tube that mixes supply and return water all through the boiler they call it thermostream its really slick. The ecomatic control has many features including o.d.reset and condensate protection. Good addon next year.
This discussion has been closed.