Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hardwood floor radiant concerns?????

Russ
Russ Member Posts: 2
Recently went to a customers house for a quote on radiant
and there was a concern on what effect the radiant heat
will have on his brazilian cherry hardwood floor.He was told to stay away from radiant because of the floor from
the wood supplier and other radiant dealers. I am wondering
if anybody has had an experience with a similar job and
if so how did it turn out and what kind of precautions
should be taken.By the way it is a staple up application.

Comments

• Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Hardwoods

Hi Russ
    The key to radiant under hardwood is floor thickness and floor temperature.I don't want to see a slab temp over 85F.To be sure though you should check with floor manufacturer.If they're not going to allow it then there's not much you can do.
    Good Luck
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Brazilian Cherry

I've installed several projects using this hardwood. One is an 18,000SF home using in-slab and staple down and overpour methods. The hardwood is perfect 4 years later...no warping or cupping. The hardwood was conditioned and acclimated and installed using the Bollinger method. Acclimation is the key and proper installation takes no shortcuts. Floor temp design must not exceed 85 degrees on the coldest day. Brazilian cherry is the least stable of the hardwoods, and I would not recommend it for a staple-up application. You may be asking for trouble. If you like adventure, have Wirsbo review your calcs and installation guidelines before proceeding.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.