Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Non Toxic Anti Freeze

Options
Let's say somebody asks you to test their boiler fluid for antifreeze quality. They do NOT know what brand it is. What tests for pH, inhibitors and/or strength do you use on unknown fluids, and what can you use for additives if you can't tell whose product it is? Do any of you have a procedure for this?

Noel

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    My thoughs, Noel

The Ph is always the important number to watch. It will to a certain extent tell you the condition of the inhibitor package. A simple electronic PH meter will work fine regardless of the fluid. Ph of below 8 indicates it's time to address the inhibitors, as you're headed to glycolic acid. Bad for all the components :) Around 10 is a safe number for systems with copper. Dow suggests dumping any glycol below 7 Ph, of course they sell glycol! Others tell me it can be boosted. I guess it depends on how low yo go!

It is always easier to test for knowns. If you know for sure the fluid is glycol, a chemical supplier should be able to tell if it is ethylene or propylene. Sometimes color will help determine a brand. If you take them a sample that you have no idea what it is testing gets involved and tricky. I think Dow uses radio spectonography (sp) for this.

I believe the boost package is the same for any type of glycol. Most inhibitors are nitrate or phosphonate (spelling may be wrong) based. I'm told they are compatiable with one another.

Systems with aluminum components are a whole nother ball of wax.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I wonder...

what happens to them aluminum block casting condensing boilers...

Surely they've done their homework...

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.