Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant install

cowie
cowie Member Posts: 8
I was looking for some tips on a slab install. What type of foamboard do you use? I was planning on using 2" high density. Is 1" ok? Do the toungue and groove panels stay together well so you can walk on them or is there any trick to keeping them tight. I am planning to lay down 1/2" he-pex using Wirsbo's 2" staples. Also, around the inside perimeter of the foundation I was planning on placing foamboard panels in a vertical position so the heat will stay in the slab and not migrate outside of it. How far down do you need to dig for this? Thanks, Cowie

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Radiant tips Mark H

We use 2" foam board. 1" is better than no foam, but 2" is better than 1".

Your verticle perimeter insulation should go as deep as your frost line. Depending on where you live it could be as shallow as 2' or deeper than 4'.

If you have a relatively level base, the foam board shouldn't move around too much.

Are you planning on putting mesh over the tube?

I tried the Wirsbo stapler while I was at the factory. Works well, but you'll want to make sure that the masons use caution when they are walking around on the tube.
    The staples can be knocked out if someone is careless.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Insulation

You should look into the Insul-tarp product. 1/2 with R-10 rating, vapor and radon barrier. Comes rolled up and will take a fraction of the time to lay down.

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    R-10?

Do you have documented proof of that, Michael? When I checked with them, they would not confirm an insulation value of any kind. Maybe I just talked to the wrong person. Hence, the reason I offer Slab Shield now.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.