Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The chatty customer (starch)

Options
John Starcher_4
John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
Ok, ladies and gents, here's a completely non-heating question for you.

How do you handle the customer who wants to stand there and gab with you as you're trying to leave? I have a handful of these folks, and a couple of them are a real challenge to get away from. They're good folks, and I really don't want to be rude, but there are times when they can cost me up to a half hour out of my day! To make things worse, we opened a retail hardware store last year, and there are many times when they will catch me in the store, and proceed to talk about everything from local politics to the weather, to their son-in-law's new job, and on and on.......

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate all of my customers and the business they give me. It's just frustrating, especially when you have 8 hours of work to get done in the next 4.

Any suggestions?

Starch

Comments

• Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    could be worse

could be stuck in the passenger seat of a driver doing more talking than driving!!

hey starch your e-mail keeps getting kicked back, did you ban me from your recipiants list??
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Schmooze 'em or lose 'em...

Thats what an ex employer of mine used to say. Said it was a part of my job.

I know how you feel about the 8 in 4 thing, and most people probably would too if you took the time to explain it to them. Like they say, if you want something done, give it to a busy man. They know how busy you are. Quietly confirm it with them and they'll understand. It works for me.

Above all, thank them for their patronage. They like that.

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    hardware store

barber shop, or bar stool. People come to talk and that makes them feel good and that makes them come back. I know people who go the hardware store to get "expert advice" and feel like part of the working crowd. ME is right on the money, " smooze em or looze em ".

Now when your in the house ... just keep nodding your head and moving for the door. If you stand still your dead. The " my guys need me on a problem job " allways works for me.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Starch
    Starch Member Posts: 102
    Options
    nope

it must be an ISP thing, murph, either yours or mine.

Try Starcher@cros.net
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Starch, how about this...cell phone/two way radio required...

if you are at a "yakky" customer's place, call the shop/co-worker/whatever, and have them call you back in five or ten minutes. That way you were "interupted" and are needed elsewhere, without an embarassing moment on either side. Good Luck, and Take Care...PJO
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    still nuttin

try to call you later if i can find the number
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Al Levi

taught me a trick years ago. Before he goes into an appointment he sets the alarm on his watch. If the customer is chatty and he wants to leave when the watch goes off, he'll shut off the alarm and the customer will say, "Do you have to be somewhere?" Al will then explain that he has an appointment, and that gets him back on the road.

If he's in the middle of an important conversation with the customer, however, he'll shut off the alarm when it goes off, and when the customer asks if he has an appointment, Al will say, "It can wait. This is much more important."

Works like a charm.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Golden Rule works for me.

A simple apology and off I go.And be as courteously upfront as possible.

cheese
This discussion has been closed.