Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex & Foam - DZ

Options
While It's commonly used, I've always wondered about the effect of sealant foam on some of our more chamically sensitive plastics - namely Pex & ABS. Perhaps Rohr laboratories has conducted some bench tests? :-)

If you don't use foam, what is your preferred fire/draft stop product?

Thanks & Best Regards

Dana

Comments

• Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    \"Rorh Labs\"

I like that!!
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I tried walking that road once

I contacted 3 manufactures for an idea of what is safe against pex. The only ONE product all agreed was "probably" safe was silicone.
    I suspect you would need to know the exact ingrediants of a proposed product to get an official nod on pex compatability.

Sounds like a good project for you'all :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dana Zaichkin_2
    Dana Zaichkin_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Yep - Silicone

Looking through the handy dandy Aquapex instal booklet there's discussion of their silicone product but no mention of foam - neither "do" nor "don't".

HR - I figured that you would have at least some info to share - Thanks!!

Best Regards

Dana
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Pex and chemicals

If memory serves me correctly, Mr Barba told me that the only common chemical that affects Wirsbo tube is xylene...and it has to be boiling! Someone please correct me if I'm in error. Kevin.
  • Canuck
    Canuck Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Firestop

Ipex/Kitec recommend (actually have had UL certify) 3M Firebarrier 2000+ and Firebarrier CP25WB+ as the product to use, in conjunction with mineral wool, for horizontal and vertical firestop.
This discussion has been closed.