Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

Graphite crinkle tape for radiator valve stem stuffing?

Options

In my vapor vacuum steam heat system, I have "pseudo packless" valves on my radiators (the kind with a thick internal spring); I've tried different packing material and solutions, but they don't last. The last attempt was with graphite braided teflon string/rope plus vacuum grease. This worked (a few weeks) with the loss of 1"Hg per ~2 hrs, but the faded to 1 hr or much less.

I haven't tried graphite crinkle tape. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of its effectiveness in this application? Is it better to use the type with or without adhesive? Thanks.

Comments

  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Posts: 4,478

    @PMJ has a Steam / Vacuum system, I don't know if he has repaired any valves. If he has maybe he has a recommendation.

    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Posts: 4,478

    They don't seem to like the Teflon here.

    Best Valve Stem packing for Single Pipe Steam valve?

    There are other threads and more suggestion, I searched "how to steam valve packing"

    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • PMJ
    PMJ Posts: 1,323

    My 21 Mouat valves just turned 100 this year. Tightened the stem on a few 20+ years ago when I first started the vacuum thing and I could hear air leaking in between burns. Haven't touched any since.

    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control