Remembering Ed Bratton
If you’ve ever spent any time in my book, The Lost Art of Steam Heating, you may remember Ed Bratton, who appears in the first chapter. Ed entered my life at the perfect time. He showed me things I had never seen, and he taught me about The Work as it once was.
I lost track of Ed when I retired from traveling 10 years ago. I just learned that he passed away last March. He lived to be 83 years young. He was a treasure, and an absolute master of his trade.
Here’s more about Ed, and the affect he had on my career. God speed, Ed, and thank you for all you did.
Comments
-
sorry for your loss Dan
RIP EdThankyou for sharing your knowledge.
0 -
What a beautiful tribute to Ed. Thank you for sharing his story and helping his knowledge live on. May he rest in peace. ❤️
Forum Moderator
0 -
That reminds me of another @DanHolohan story.
Many years ago, I designed and helped build a brand-new one-pipe steam system for my old boss's daughter and son-in-law, just north of Jarrettsville, MD. We started with a heat-loss calculation and did the rest using the information in Lost Art. It ran perfectly, and was featured in "Plumbing & Mechanical" magazine.
Some time later, Dan did a steam seminar in Greenbelt, MD. It was raining and windy that day, and despite the usual rain gear I was thoroughly soaked when I finished crossing the parking lot. Now, I'd never met Dan but knew what he looked like. So here came this drowned rat up to Dan- "Hi, I'm Steamhead". For some reason, he was glad to see me 🤔
But when Dan got to the part where he mentioned Ed Bratton, he made a change. He said Ed was no longer the last one to install one-pipe steam- Steamhead was the last one now. Of course, @Dan Foley and several others have done it since then. But that was quite the compliment, coming from one of Dan's stature. That and a few other bits of encouragement led to @Gordo and I starting All Steamed Up, which we recently sold as we prepare to retire.
R.I.P. Ed. Thanks for keeping steam installs going for the rest of us to pick up. And thanks, Dan!1
Categories
- All Categories
- 87.8K THE MAIN WALL
- 3.3K A-C, Heat Pumps & Refrigeration
- 59 Biomass
- 430 Carbon Monoxide Awareness
- 131 Chimneys & Flues
- 2.2K Domestic Hot Water
- 6K Gas Heating
- 124 Geothermal
- 170 Indoor-Air Quality
- 3.8K Oil Heating
- 79 Pipe Deterioration
- 1.1K Plumbing
- 6.7K Radiant Heating
- 396 Solar
- 16.1K Strictly Steam
- 3.5K Thermostats and Controls
- 56 Water Quality
- 51 Industry Classes
- 51 Job Opportunities
- 18 Recall Announcements




