Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

New Burnham IN-4 - how can I buy one?

Options

I have a 20 plus year old Burnham IN-4 which I am considering replacing with like kind.

Is there any way I can purchase the unit and do the work myself?

I have been doing all of the work on the current boiler since my contractor botched the initial installation over 20 years ago.

I have replaced the faulty near boiler piping with a drop header, and replaced the leaky return by myself.

Comments

  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Posts: 9,012
    edited January 27

    You should be able to purchase one from a local supply house, but I would strongly consider a different model such as a Peerless 63 series, a Weil-McLain, or a Utica PEG series

    If you are in NJ or several other states, as a homeowner you can pull your own permits and do the work yourself (will usually require a plumbing and electrical permit but your town will tell you). Other states, such as MA don't let homeowners do that legally.

    NJ Steam Homeowner.
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Posts: 2,661

    Or Williamson. Williamson is a WM in disguise. And significantly less expensive

    ethicalpaul
  • bburd
    bburd Posts: 1,324

    @stevenknaub the Burnham independence series boilers are well known for premature failure, especially when used in steam systems. Most of the regulars here would install almost anything else by preference.

    —
    Bburd
    ethicalpaulSTEAM DOCTOR
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 21,026

    Stay away from Burnham unless you use a steam max. But I am not partial to anything Burnham

    STEAM DOCTOR
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Posts: 9,012

    I was driving to my brother-in-law's house a couple weeks ago, from NJ down to MD and along the way believe it or not I drove right past the US Boiler/Burnham headquarters, not even knowing it was there before I saw it. It was quite a coincidence!

    As I drove past my floorboard rusted through

    NJ Steam Homeowner.
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

    mattmia2STEAM DOCTOREBEBRATT-EdLong Beach Ed