Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

Replacing Sections in American Peerless Radiator

Options

I'm restoring a beautiful old house with a hot water radiant heat system. Unfortunately, the powder coaters tipped over one of the radiators and it broke several of the sections. I've found a donor radiator of the same model that I can scavenge radiator sections from to replace the broken sections.

The radiator is a Standard Peerless 4 column 38" tall 16 section radiator manufactured in the nineteen teens. Each section is 3" wide. I understand from the original literature on the radiators that the threaded nipples are 2" in diameter.

I've done enough research to understand how they come apart and to know that I need a special tool to turn the threaded nipples. I also know that I need new gaskets for the sections I take apart.

I've found a few sources for gaskets and tools, but am uncertain what tool and what size gaskets I need.

Anyone know?

(I know this may not be an easy solution and I'm okay with taking that risk.)

20250215_161306.jpg 1000004667.jpg 20240914_173142.jpg FB_IMG_1739424766948.jpg

Comments

  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Posts: 18,101

    i don't think that there are gaskets between sections, it is usually just dope on the left right nipples. you probably will have to cut the old nipples out and have a machinist make new nipples on a lathe. those are pretty plain radiators, there are similar radiators available new from castrads and us boiler.

    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • psb75
    psb75 Posts: 1,169

    Those breaks are unfortunate. Good that you did the research. I have done this kind of fix on radiators with smooth (unthreaded) push-nipples i.e. swapping out and putting in sections. I don't believe I would try with L, R threaded nipples. That would be best done by a very experienced person in a shop with ALL of the proper tools and parts. Putting together, building new radiators with new materials and proper tools at the factory is one task, fussing with "long-in-service" radiators and old parts—is a whole 'nuther game. I like the suggestion above of you finding other vintage radiators and testing them and putting them back in service. There are lots of vintage radiators out there "begging" for a home. If you take on this repair task, tool-up and are successful…you should go into business! Save the old radiators!

    Alan (California Radiant) Forbeskcopp
  • I'm curious whether this happened and whether there are additional thoughts or suggestions, please. I'm facing a similar situation, same radiator style, though I just want to shorten an existing radiator by removing a… "column" (?).

  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Posts: 18,891

    Unfortunately, this rarely works. We've tried it and they just don't go back together the same way they came apart, so they leak.

    Co-Founder, All Steamed Up, Inc.

    Semi-retired

    Baltimore, MD, USA

    ethicalpaulBig Ed_4
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 21,026

    Probably better off searching for a replacement rad.

    ethicalpaulPC7060kcopp
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Posts: 18,101

    or finding a way to reduce the output. really easy with hot water or 2 pipe steam, harder but there are ways with 1 pipe steam.

  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Posts: 3,583

    I am curious about the design of the nipple system …. Does anyone know where to find info ..

    There was an error rendering this rich post.