Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning Boiler and Radiators? Hercules System Cleaner or Rectorseal 8-Way

HandyFS
HandyFS Member Posts: 122
edited October 15 in Radiant Heating

Is it common to clean a hot water boiler if it hasn't been done in a long time? Or if there are no issues present? This particular system sat dormant for a year or two, with some passages empty. The system got back up and running fine and has been fine for last heating season, but I was considering doing a cleaning just in case it may help clean some things up that have accumulated inside. Some radiators had freeze damage and the system was partially drained and sat empty. Old replacement radiators were put in place. So plenty of internal surface rust was present I am certain.

When I brought the system back online, I did some fill and flushes and the water was clear. I haven't checked the water condition since the system went offline all summer, but I'm assuming it has gotten dirty again. There was no visible sludge or anything like that when I drained the boiler from the lowest point.

Weil Mclain Gold Oil Fired Setup with indirect water heater, 2 zones with common Taco circulators, and about a dozen cast iron radiators. Nothing fancy in the system.
I've seen people also mention a product called Rector-Seal 8-way.

Is it good practice to put some in?

Hercules® Boiler and Heating System Cleaner

Hercules Boiler Cleaner

Rector Seal 8-Way
Rector Seal 8-Way Cleaner/Conditioner

Comments