Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help getting heat to zone 2.

tommy152
tommy152 Member Posts: 3

The wife had a contractor replace one of the baseboard radiators for whatever reason during the summer. Fast forward to now and I figure i start the heat to get it going before winter. Turns out I can’t get any heat to the second floor on zone 2. First floor works fine. I thought it was the zone valve, but it still doesn’t work if I manually open it. I bled the bleeder valves upstairs and had air of air, but still no heat after doing that. The outlet pipe of the boiler gets hot and after a few mins, I hear bubbling in the expansion tank. The pipe above the zone valve is cool but not as cold as the other zone so I’m thinking it’s kind of getting some heat? The pipe below the zone valve by the pump gets hot.

Not sure what’s going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,426
    edited October 14

What is the pressure in the system? did you get air or water out of the bleeder? did you bleed it with the zone valve open and the circulator off?

• tommy152
    edited October 14

pressure was at around 10, but it’s currently at 15. I first got air, but after a while water. Yes, I bled it with the zone valve open and circulator was off.

Thanks for your help.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,162

I'm thinking you still have air up there. Baseboard is notoriously difficult to purge properly. One can hope that eventually the air will be removed by whatever air removal device you have (although the gurgling you heard in the expansion tank suggests that some of the air went there — not a bit helpful)

If you have the valves and drains needed to purge that zone — preferably just that bit of baseboard — that may help.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • tommy152

I think you’re right. I went to bleed the one baseboard and it had more air. I guess I’ll just keep bleeding it throughout the day. The bubbling in the expansion tank had me worried. It sounded like boiling water in there.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,426

You could call the contractor back and make them finish the job too, they should have purged it and got it flowing as part of the installation.