Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 thermostat five zone valves

rhl
rhl Member Posts: 109
edited October 5 in Thermostats and Controls

I have a taco 6 zone valve relay.

I want one tstat to energize 5 of the zone valves.

I wired up 5 zone valves as one would expect. I jumped my W wire to all the W in ports, but it seems I can only provide power to the 1-3 or 4-5. Presumably the transformers somehow are “out of phase.”

Can this be dealt with on the board without using a contactor?

Otherwise does anyone have a recommended contactor that can sit inside the taco relay?

Comments

• offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 149

That's correct because there are two transformers in that Taco panel. Transformer A feeds zones 1-3 and Transformer B feeds 4-6.
    Say your thermostat wired to Zone 1 you have to parallel R and W for zones 1-3. That should power up the zone valves 1-3.

You can use a RIB relay RIB1UC. This will mount in a 1/2 knockout that's on top of the panel. Wire the coil side which will be the white black (i think) for the 24 VAC coil side to R terminal. The white/yellow wire to C. This will energize the red light on the RIB once there is a call for heat.

The orange and yellow wire is a dry contact. This gets wired to Zone 4 R and W. Then just wire Zones 5 and 6 in parallel with Zone 4.

The RIB isolates Transformer A and B allowing you to use one thermostat.

• rhl
    edited October 5

Of course!

I think you mean the white/blue (24vdc line) to the W wire of the source thermostat, correct ?

• offdutytech
    edited October 5

White / Blue it's the low voltage wire for AC or DC voltage.

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,571
    edited October 5

As @offdutytech suggest use this RIB relay and wire it this way. Zones 1-2-3 of the Taco ZV panel wired in parallel—R to R and W to W and then run a two conductor wire to one pole of the RIB relay normally open points. Zones 4 and 5 of the Taco ZV panel wire in parallel R to R and W to W to the other pole of the RIB relay normally open points. You then need to power the RIB relay's 24 Vac terminals thru the thermostat. Wire one lead from the thermostat W terminal to one 24 Va coil terminal on the RIB relay's. Wire the other 24Vac coil lead to the W terminal on the Taco ZVC #4 connection. Wire the R terminal of the Taco #4 connection to the R terminal on the thermostat and the NO connection on the RIB relay. OR you can use a single pole relay, just omit the connections from ZVC #4 to the RIB relay NO contacts.

www.supplyhouse.com/Functional-Devices-RIB2401D-Enclosed-Pilot-Relay-10-Amp-DPDT-w-24-VAC-DC-120-VAC-Coil

www.supplyhouse.com/Functional-Devices-RIBU1C-Enclosed-Pilot-Relay-10-Amp-SPDT-w-10-30-Vac-DC-120-Vac-Coil (CHEAPER than 2 pole)

• rhl

I happen to have this lying around yes of course this works perfectly. Surprised this isn’t just a board feature

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,181
    edited October 5

Can you not use an unused end switch instead of a relay? Or are both of them taken?

Also, does your ZVC406 have a metal or plastic cover?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,794
    edited October 5

@Alan (California Radiant) Forbes has a great idea, and no relay is needed. Use the end switched from zone 3 to power up zone 5. Add W jumper for Zone 1, 2, & 3 and another W jumper to 4 & 5 as shown below.

CAUTION: If you are using a three wire zone valve you may cross phases on the two transformer because zone valve terminal 2 is the same as C on the transformer, so connecting the end switch may cross the C of one transformer to the R or the other transformer inadvertently. So use the relay idea if you are using 3 wire zone valves.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

offdutytechAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • offdutytech

@EdTheHeaterMan my first thought was just like Alan's, but wasn't sure on the type of zone valve so I went the safe way with the relay.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,895

if it comes up again, the Caleffi relay boxes have the transformers in parallel

So you have 80va across the connections, and they have resetting overload protection

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterManAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Robertw
    Robertw Member Posts: 12

why bother with all the fancy wiring, just leave the zone valves manually open and run your one thermostat to tt on the aqua stat relay

Alan (California Radiant) ForbespecmsgSuperTech
  • 8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • rhl

I’m using 4 wires.

Im already way in deep in taco 6 zones.

I’ve finally completing wiring the zones on my new system

(spacepak air to water) these are the fan coils for the chilled cooling side.

I must say as a primarily technologist, I’m shocked we need to do all of this.

Can’t the relays just be on the internet and talk to thermostats over more modern protocols.

80va does sounds better for these actuators.