Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Goodman AVPTC and hydronic heat wiring for heat

Hello, I searched the topics and could not find an answer to my situation.

I installed a AVPTC air handler with communication CTK04 thermostat and I need to connect my old hydronic oil fired boiler. And I'm not sure how to wire it. My old system had a hydrostat at the exchanger and one on the boiler, attaching pics. I see in my board I have connections for an electric heat W1 and aux W2 when I call for heat I get 24 v across W1 and C, I need to turn that into a signal for my boiler to activate. How should I wire it? Should I upgrade the control unit on the boiler. I eventually will be installing geothermal and bought this unit to get me through the next 5 years or so. My old unit had to be replaced after 26 years. I can't afford electric heat here in New England and don't have space in my panel for another circuit anyway.

Comments

• stoker420
    stoker420 Member Posts: 4

P.s. it's not a heat pump it's a 2 stage communication ac unit outside.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,183

You can — and should — leave the aquastat on the boiler alone. That control turns the boiler itself on and off in response to the circulating boiler water temperature.

Now. The next question is — what on the system transfers heat from the boiler to whatever transfers it into your house? The old system. Figure out what that is. Then use the W1 and C connections, which provide (you say) 24 VAC power, to activate a relay. The dry normally open contacts of that relay can be wired in place of — or in parallel with — whatever old thermostat controlled the old system.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,083

Wiring diagram for the air handler?

No separate relay board needed for hydro coil?

• stoker420

Like this an isolation relay is that what I need?

• stoker420

Install the relay and it is up and working, now I have to shut it down until Thanksgiving because that is the rule

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,146
    edited October 16

You use holidays to control your HVAC system?

That's strange I use temperature.

I find it tends to keep the house comfortable.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,083

Is it still a communicating system, or did you change it to 24 vac? Because if still communicating, the diagram doesn't make sense because the thermostat doesn't have a W1.