Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Head of Schools house

Grallert
Grallert Member Posts: 721

We acquired this house a few years ago. 3000sf colonial built around 1980? vinyl siding half finished basement. The finished side of the basement has carpet (new) drywall newly painted and a dehumidifier runs all the time. The complaint is allergic reaction to…? not sure. We have an outfit coming to have a look. I did check the moisture level in the finished side of the cellar at the bottom of the drywall and got between 10% and 15% seems to me that should be lower. The wall in the unfinished side is below 5%. Seems to me air movement is needed at the very least. There is no visible mold but there is some pealing paint at the base board molding in spots.

I should say the building has ne cooling other that a window shaker on the second floor. There is space in the attic for an AC unit I think. I'm sort of answering my own question as I sort out my thoughts. Thanks for listening :)

Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,230

I think you already know where this is going… the combination of a below grade basement, carpet (on the slab?) and drywall (any furring under it?) just is asking for trouble…

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,127
    edited August 22

Put a piece of Saran wrap on the basement floor and seal the edges with duct tape. If moisture is coming up through the floor you will see it collect under the Saran wrap.

A 1980 house they probably put no vapor barrier under the concrete.

Mad Dog_2
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 721

I'm afraid there's instant fix. Yes below grade carpet on slab, 3 1/2" dead air between foundation and and drywall glass insulation, more where the waste leaves. It seems like the drywall is absorbing the bulk of the humidity. The answer is easy just not pleasent.

Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    kcopp