Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair or Replace Buderus GB142-60

Hello - I have a ~18 year old Buderus GB142-60. Our current HVAC service company has said our boiler is essentially at end of life and not worth repairing anymore.

We started getting some quotes to replace it, but even the cheapest replacement option is going to be quite expensive. In looking at the price of parts online, it seems that even if we have to replace the heat exchanger at some point soon, it will still be much cheaper than installing a new boiler. However, after contacting a few companies, they all just want to jump right to replacing the boiler rather than trying to keep it running.

Are there any repair technicians that you would recommend in the Boston area who are experienced with Buderus boilers and skilled at doing repairs to keep them running?

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,267

I honestly think you were getting good advice. No point in throwing good money at a bad boiler. I've never been a fan of that model. I really don't like dealing with the concrete like buildup that fouls up the heat exchanger.

TeemokMad Dog_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,173

If this is steam, talk to @New England SteamWorks

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,408

18 year old ModCon.

I like keeping old equipment going. But my old equipment is common and generic.

Many proprietary parts in ModCons. How will you feel if you invest money in it today, and next year it needs a part that is unavailable?

Stick a fork in it, its done.

SuperTechMad Dog_2
  • ThinLandscape620
    ThinLandscape620 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 17

Thanks - I understand this boiler is past its useful life but the replacement quotes I have gotten are shockingly expensive ($-$). Assuming a lifespan of 20 years for the new boiler and the middle of that price range, a new boiler is essentially $ per year. So, I am kind of looking at that as my threshold for a repair cost above which I would pull the trigger on a new boiler. I guess the conclusion that leads to is if a needed repair is beyond my DIY skills and an expensive part (e.g. replacing the heat exchanger), I should just get a new boiler installed at that point.

@Jamie Hall - this is hot water not steam. Any suggestions for a good hot water boiler company in the north shore area of Boston?

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462

No pricing here plz…

What is the issue they see?

Is it leaking?

Erin Holohan Haskell
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 889

I just put a new fan in a 17 yr. old Buderus GB 142-45. It has given good service. I have spent a fair bit of time cleaning concretions out of it. It is still going. I expect to replace it in the near future. I expect to pop a good new mod-con boiler in its place for less than 1/2 the money you mention.

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,799

it’s a labor intensive job, contractors want to save their energy for full boiler jobs with larger margins.
    i missed your dollar signs before it was wiped out. Shoot me a message with some basic budget goal and perhaps I can make a drive. I’m 2 hours away. The Bostonian contractors get yuge dollars

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ThinLandscape620
    ThinLandscape620 Member Posts: 9

@GW2 - Thanks, I sent you a message!

@psb75 - Thanks for that data point.

@kcopp - Sorry about that! The boiler has a slow leak from the air vent that I noticed for the first time a few weeks ago (may have been happening for a while, not sure). In addition, this week, the boiler started having the occasional 6a error code which I have been able to clear by resetting the boiler. Approximately 1 year ago, I had the same error code which eventually required a new ionization electrode and ignitor.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462

That is a replaceable part, No reason you cant fix that and get more time from it.