Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I shut my Ecobee thermostat off?

Options
imschwer
imschwer Member Posts: 2

Will I still have hot water? I don't need heat, nor AC at this point. My system is old, and costs a lot! to run. 3-400+ a month.

I'd just like to shut it off.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,153
    edited May 27
    Options

EDIT: YES Turn off the thermostat

That will depend on the system. Your AC is definitely not a boiler system, AC needs to use duct work and a fan 98% of the time.

Your heater is a different story. You may have a furnace (hot air)that uses the AC ductwork, or a boiler (hot water or steam), that will usually use radiators, or maybe radiant floor heat or in some cases a hot water coil in the ductwork.

One other popular heating system is a heat pump that uses the outdoor AC compressor in reverse, to put warm air in the ductwork. 

Can you describe your heating system?

For the most part, the Heat Pump, and Furnace systems have no attachment to your Domestic Hot Water (DHW) On the other hand, a steam or hot water radiator system may also operate with a tankless coil inside the boiler. You can not shut off the boiler system if you have that type of hot water heater.

You can shut off the thermostat on just about any system, and still get hot water, because that room thermostat only controls the room heating side of the system. The hot water side of any system is controlled by a thermostat in the water heater, not the one on the wall.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,537
    Options

Should have an off option. Just select that… if not, just set it at a ridiculously low temperature.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • imschwer
    imschwer Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you both! I don't know enough about what type of geo thermal system I have-other than I had it checked and was told I need a new heat pump as mine is outdated.

I'm shutting 'er down for the summer! I don't care about AC. I live in Minnesota, and summers are short with only a shorter hot season.

Again, thank you. Very, very much.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,153
    edited May 27
    Options

The majority of Geothermal systems are heat pump design. That means that you probably have a separate hot water tank that operates on electric resistance elements. Key word being Probably. There are heat pump water heaters and also indirect water heater tanks that have hot coils inside them that operate off of any number of heat sources. You may have has some crazy unconventional assembly of parts that use the geothermal to heat the water.

BUT Probably not.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,477
    edited May 31
    Options

" I live in Minnesota, and summers are short …", sez imschwer When the temperatures in Minnesota gets up to 45 degs, everyone puts on their shorts and goes out for a picnic. My brother who lives in Minnesota told me that.

EdTheHeaterMan