Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This Friday's case, Common boiler feed mistakes

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,528

On this Friday's case, I show some of the more common mistakes I see done on boiler feed systems. It airs Friday at 6am EST

Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,305
    Options

My guess is that most common is oversized pump?

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 919
    edited May 23
    Options

Here are a few. #1) allowing the condensate feed system to make up the necessary replacement water to compensate for a steam system's normal usage or leakage. Fix all steam and returning condensate leaks to strive for 100% return and 0% make up. #2) Not treating the water in the condensate feed system which of course will include treating all the fresh water make up. #3) Not preheating, if necessary, the water in the boiler return system. The return water to the boiler should be at least 180F and possibly hotter depending on the condensate pumps being used. On all large boiler system I always preferred a return system deaerator coupled with a good make up water treatment system. #4) Not installing a good check valve at the pumps discharge and also at the inlet to the boiler. #5) Not installing a good flow control valve on the pumps discharge to control the pumping capacity of the pump so you don't over amp the pump motor and this may also help with cavitation due to poor engineering or the wrong type pump. #6) Adding make up through a water line control like the MM #47 or MM #51 when a condensate feed tank is part of the system.

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

@retiredguy Wow I will have to do another video LOL

@jumper I didnt even cover that one yet. Thanks

Here is the link to the common things I found

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons