Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard EP-82 Electric Boiler

Options
msundstrom
msundstrom Member Posts: 3

Looking for a sequencing switch for my 1976 AS EP-82 electric home heating boiler. Not sure where to look, my standard searches have not found anything on this.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,271
    Options

A good chance it was built by some one else. Any other names on it, EFM maybe. Or a part number on the sequencer? Got a pic?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • msundstrom
    Options

heater sticks on until I tap on the sequencer. I haven’t removed it, trying not to unless I have too

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,455
    Options

Well… you have the maker (Honeywell) and the part number. That's something. However, at something like half a century old, you may find that it dropped out of production a few decades back.

It looks like a mechanical contactor, however, of some kind, and if it is possible to get it apart (don't break anything) it is also possible that the contacts could be refurbished…

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,635
    Options

Honeywell used to use a mechanical sequencer like that on large roof top units they are unavailable now.

Everything now is electronic.

I am sure there is something available, but it won't be a drop in replacement. It will probably require some rewiring and the new controls may not fit in the control panel, but it can be done. Can you post a wiring diagram if it exists.

• msundstrom
    Options

it has 5 heating elements

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,635
    Options

24 volt from the thermostat starts the sequencer. It is going to be tough to find something with 5 stages that is why I am wondering what size the heaters are. Maybe we could make it 2 or 3 stage?

I have a bd feeling whatever I come up with will be expensive. Could probably do it with 24v time delay relays and some relays or contactors but it will be a bit of rewiring.

Do you have any idea of on a call for heat how quickly it goes from stage 1-5?