Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pitching exhaust towards termination.

Options
tibDeltT
tibDeltT Member Posts: 1

I recently installed a new IBC boiler. I failed inspection on the venting. Because of the location of the unit and the house being finished I had to run the venting up and then down to its final termination. I left no bellies in the pipe for condensate to accumulate but it's not exactly to the manufacturers recommendation. I don't understand what could possibly happen. Sure you will have water dripping out of the exhaust pipe. But other than that what's the problem. I've had the unit installed for a month now and no error codes. I've done this before no call back. I'm in San Francisco California and no chance of freezing weather. Please some show me the light or tell me I've broken the matrix.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options

Bottom line, if it failed inspection and your installation is not in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements… you're stuck.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options

All boilers are supposed to be installed to the vent slopes up from the boiler. They want the condensate to run back to the boiler to drain.

They are not going to re right the boiler manuals or codes just because you live in an area not subject to freezing.

The MFG install instructions take precedence over any local codes

• JMWHVAC
    JMWHVAC Member Posts: 38
    Options

You are correct, mechanically it will work fine sloping out. I have done it and we have freezing temperatures. (As long as the location of the block of ice below the exhaust doesn't bother anybody!) But yes, inspection is inspection. In my area, inspectors seem to spend very little time on boilers unless it is a commercial application.