Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What time of year is acceptable to Shut Off steam heating system?

Options
RTW
RTW Member Posts: 60
I live in southern New England and thinking if the low temp is no lower than 45F and the high temp is in the 60s to 70s it may be time to shut off the steam heat? I believe someone else on this site commented on this topic before. Regards RTW
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,729
    Options
    I use my heat whenever I need it. I go by temperature not the month.
    I don't care if it's July, if the house is chilly the boiler's getting fired up.

Same goes with air conditioning. If it's February and the house is too hot I'm cooling it down.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,043
    Options
    It's not Germany...The Hydronic Police won't be knocking on your door. Use heat when you're cold. Mad Dog 
    Long Beach Ed
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    @RTW

It really just depends if the pipes will freeze and on your comfort tolerance.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 661
    Options
    I see this quite often for schools mostly where they will have a set shutdown date so they can start maintenance and replacement work.

Now, what that date is............??
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    Landlords by law have to supply heat to tenets between dates and maybe outside temperatures . Check your local code ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterManbburdLong Beach Ed
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    edited April 9
    Options
    April 15 to October 15 is the law for landlords in NJ.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    Years ago, and maybe still today, October fifteenth was the heat on institutional date.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,370
    Options
    Those dates, however, don't mean you can't use your boiler in the summer! Just that it must be usable between those dates.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.panick007
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,012
    Options
    From the New York Tenants Rights Guide at: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/tenants_rights.pdf

Heating Season

Heat must be supplied from October 1 through May 31 to tenants in
    multiple dwellings. If the outdoor temperature falls below 55°F between
    the hours of six a.m. and ten p.m., each apartment must be heated to
    a temperature of at least 68°F. If the outdoor temperature falls below
    40°F between the hours of ten p.m. and six a.m., each apartment must
    be heated to a temperature of at least 55°F. Local regulations may
    require higher temperatures during these times. (Multiple Dwelling
    Law § 79; Multiple Residence Law § 173; NYC Admin. Code § 27-
    2029).

I believe this applies throughout the state, not just in NYC.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,370
    Options
    Must be heated to? or must be able to be heated to? No wonder people ask how to turn off the heat... or open windows.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,729
    edited April 9
    Options

Must be heated to? or must be able to be heated to? No wonder people ask how to turn off the heat... or open windows.

That's where TRV's become magical in my opinion.
    A huge building, tons of tenants, many don't want heat.

I'd bet the biggest issue with TRV's and end users is they probably don't realize you don't turn them several numbers for a difference. If it's set on #3 you go to 2.5 or 3.5 and wait a while and see what happens. If the apartment is a bit too warm just turn it down a very tiny tiny amount and wait an hour.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    edited April 9
    Options
    The power of steam. HeatThemUp ! :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• RTW
    RTW Member Posts: 60
    Options

As an aside, I found this article - and many like it - that discusses how the body reacts to the same temp in Fall vs Spring. It may explain why many turn down or off the heat sooner in the Spring, but just the opposite in the Fall
    Regards
    RTW

Beginning of ARTICLE dated Sept:

Why a 65-Degree Day Feels Cold in Fall but Warm in Spring
    When seasons change, our bodies know to react. But we can perceive the same thermometer reading differently at various times throughout the year.

September 8, 2016 7:00 AM

Author
    |
    Kevin Joy

With temperatures set to drop in the coming weeks, you might be surprised to perceive a moderate, 65-degree day as chilly, whereas the same scenario in the spring would feel positively tropical.

There's a reason for that.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,043
    Options
    The problem with TRVs Chris, is that if the boiler never shuts down or for not long enough periods, the TRVs will not work. Mad Dog 
    ChrisJ