Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plug removal tip

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
New Williamson,GSA gas steam boiler. Boiler is shipped with right-hand supply plugged and right-hand return plugged. Until a few years ago, these plugs came out relatively easily. Originally with pipes wrench. Once I purchased impact wrench, it was all impact wrench. Would come out in seconds. Last few years, those plugs were impossible. Anyway, today's plugs, refused to come out. 3 foot pipe wrench with 24" cheater. With two other guys holding the boiler. No luck. Impact wrench, no luck. Took some toilet wax. Coated the male plug threads. Took Mapp touch and heated plug until wax started to melt. Stopped and started a few times (don't want to melt the section gaskets, I know, it's unlikely).  Put on the impact wrench and voila, plug came right out. Both the 3" supply plug and the 2.5" return plug. 
mattmia2DJD775kcoppGGross

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    FWIW, I am 99% sure that I got the wax tip from this site. So hats off to whomever gave me the idea
    JimPIntplm.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    Options
    Seems Williamson switch to a hard set thread dope ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

Seems Williamson switch to a hard set thread dope ...

Yeah...maybe something like loctite red or blue!? Wow @Steamhead that is a lot to remove a plug. Nice removal. Thanks for the tip.
    old_diy_guy
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,276
    Options
    Skilled guy I knew used hand impact wrench. Said it's in reverse twist & rap a tap tap.
    Of course he had such big forearms that he could probably pop anything with fingers.
  • Stet
    Stet Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I have a cake of beeswax in my glove compartment. They use it to free up bolts, nuts, and plugs on marine stuff. They sell it at marine hardwares. Heat up the frozen up joint let the wax melt in. Hit it with heat a second time. Let it cool a bit. Comes right out.