Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair faucet cartridges?

Options
jumper
jumper Member Posts: 2,277
Ceramic disc valves last but not O ring & washer.
So easier to replace rubber than locate correct replacement.
Where to obtain those sorts of washers?

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    edited March 30
    Options
    There are plenty of - O - ring kits with different sizes available but it's usually easier and better to replace them with OEM - O - rings. Can usually get them at the supply house. What's the manufacturer?
    What are you looking for exactly?
  • jumper
    Options
    Seems I've accumulated handful of Pfister & Kohler cartridges.
    The OEM O rings seem flimsy. Intended to die?
    The Kohlers have a gasket on the bottom that looks like a hose nozzle washer.
    3/8" diameter and too thick to be replaced with an O ring.
    I wonder if I can drill out a 3/8" washer?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    there are a couple online o-ring stores that you can buy o-rings of the right kind of compound to withstand municipal water. the oem and hardware store o-rings tend to be compounds that don't perform so well with water or chlorides. the square profine washers might be harder to find, the online stores have some square profile o-rings. could try mcmaster-carr too. there likely are replacements for the square washers from the aftermarket faucet parts distributors.
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    @mattmia2 has a good idea...check out McMaster-car. They might have what you are looking for.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    I usually end up saying screw it and replace the faucet. Time is $$. Most of the stuff is not made to last.

The last Moen I had was under warranty, get the parts ok then you find the inside too corroded with minerals to fix
    Intplm.MikeAmann
  • jumper
    Options
    Sensible in my opinion. Buy a new fixture and I can change it for you.
    Kohlers do cost $$$ admittedly.

I usually end up saying screw it and replace the faucet. Time is $$. Most of the stuff is not made to last.

The last Moen I had was under warranty, get the parts ok then you find the inside too corroded with minerals to fix

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    Personally I've noticed no difference between modern "diamond seal technology" and old washers as far as life.

Of course washers are cheap and easy to replace. A Delta diamond cartridge on the other hand......

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Intplm.
    edited March 31
    Options
    Im still hanging in there with delta faucet and Kohler faucets. Fewest problems with the best performance so far for decades now. And Symmons shower valves most of the time.
    It's not easy finding the correct repair parts these days. These three manufacturers offer some very good products that can take a repair.
    Once upon a time most all products could take a repair. This seems to have changed when the big box stores came around.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Crest/Good is old school. Email them a picture of your stem or cartridge and they will respond with a replacement or the parts they have in stock.

crestgood@yahoo.com
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Intplm.