Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a simple smart thermostat - gas furnace no AC

Options
southmadduxgang
southmadduxgang Member Posts: 1
Husband and I handle property maintenance for a small church. Basically one-room w/kitchen alcove, plus small bathroom. Gas furnace in basement. AC via window unit that we control with an App.

Currently use a sturdy 7-day programmable Honeywell thermostat. Overall its been good with a few blips requiring reset. We suspect power outages, as thermostat does not have back up batteries. We wish to replace the Honeywell thermostat with a Wi-fi connected unit for remote temperature checks and adjustments.

Have reviewed the Smart Thermostats on the market, and there are many options. We really want VERY FEW bells and whistles: no occupancy sensor to try to override, no zone controls needed. Note: we have worshipers concerned that occupancy sensors (cameras?) could invade their privacy.

I will probably need to contact vendors, but any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Honeywell TH6220WF2006 is my go to.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    Just about every WiFi thermostat will do what you need. Some have more features that you need. The main frature that these smart thermostats like to tell you about is their learning feature. Honeywell called it "Adaptive Intelligence Recovery" when it first came out with the Lyric. That is about the same time that Nest came out with the "Learning Thermostat".

Honeywell dropped the ball with that "Adaptive Intelligence Recovery" name while the competition thought of the Learning Thermostat. They both did the same thing but most people understood "Learning", while only the eggheads knew what Adaptive Intelligence Recovery meant. Not as many Lyrics were sold because the learning thermostat was smarter and appealed to the dumber of us.

Now you can usually disable some of the smartness of those thermostats of today, so it does not do what you don't want it to do.

I have had success with the NEST before it was taken over by the folks at Google. Ecobee is another popular smart thermostat. I would look on Amazon to see what the prices are for some of them. sometimes you can get a better deal from the Professional installer if you are going that route. If this is a DIY project, then look at the reviews of those thermostats that have "Very Easy To Install" in the reviews.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• lobuc
    lobuc Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I do same as you I installed 10 lux kono thermostats about 4 years ago glad I did. Very reasonably priced especially on ebay.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,633
    Options
    I like the Honeywell 8000 series. They have a direct-to-wifi version (TH8321WF1001), or RedLINK (wireless) versions that need an Ethernet gateway, but provide other benefits.