Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dryer Vent ran Horizontal through 2x4 wall

hunteryale
hunteryale Member Posts: 1
I need to run a dryer vent through a 2x4 wall is there a way to do this ? The vent needs to run horizontal for a bit, I cant just run it vertically into the ceiling. Im trying to avoid having to fur out the wall for the studs to fit the typical 4inch duct. Thanks

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,889
    Use hard pipe , fastest way out it the best . Use metal tape no screws.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

delcrossv
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,691
    You would not be able to drill a 3" hole in a 3-1/2" stud. So either vertical or fur out a chase up high or behind the dryer.

If you can go vertical in the stud space these dryer boxes are handy.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    PC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,186
    I suppose you could build a header and a plate and cut out the studs but i'd suggest you figure out a different route or fir the wall out.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    Better horizontal than vertical. Find the least restrictive horizontal way out.
    I cannot recommend (and have had building inspectors fail installations) when screws are used on the vent piping. They prove to catch and build up lint, clogging the vent prematurely. Clogged vents have been reported as fire hazards.
    Fasten the pipe lengths with a good foil tape or other approved attachment.
    Use longer lengths of vent pipe allowing for little to no joints inside the walls.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,093
    Intplm. said:
    Better horizontal than vertical. Find the least restrictive horizontal way out. I cannot recommend (and have had building inspectors fail installations) when screws are used on the vent piping. They prove to catch and build up lint, clogging the vent prematurely. Clogged vents have been reported as fire hazards. Fasten the pipe lengths with a good foil tape or other approved attachment. Use longer lengths of vent pipe allowing for little to no joints inside the walls.
    If screws are an issue that corrugated aluminum stuff should definitely be against code.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    PC7060MikeAmann
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,122
    ChrisJ said:

Intplm. said:

Better horizontal than vertical. Find the least restrictive horizontal way out.
    I cannot recommend (and have had building inspectors fail installations) when screws are used on the vent piping. They prove to catch and build up lint, clogging the vent prematurely. Clogged vents have been reported as fire hazards.
    Fasten the pipe lengths with a good foil tape or other approved attachment.
    Use longer lengths of vent pipe allowing for little to no joints inside the walls.

If screws are an issue that corrugated aluminum stuff should definitely be against code.

Agreed. But the inspectors that I have tried not to argue with lol. Have always frowned upon screws used on dryer vent piping. The corrugated crap was or is not considered much of a hinderance. Go figure?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,945
    I never permitted -- or would use -- the corrugated ducting if it was concealed in any way, and even if it was in the open if it couldn't be easily detached at both ends and cleaned.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    Is there any reason dryers can't have a decent filter that removes most of the lint rather than half?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Intplm.CLamb
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,945
    ChrisJ said:

Is there any reason dryers can't have a decent filter that removes most of the lint rather than half?

No, ther isn't -- and the ones I have do pretty well. Provided the person using them takes the trouble to clean the filter...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ

No, ther isn't -- and the ones I have do pretty well. Provided the person using them takes the trouble to clean the filter...
    It's been my experience if you don't clean the filter you don't get dry clothes. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,304
    edited March 24
    I keep loosing socks in the dryer. I wonder if there is a device in there that is chopping up my socks into lint size pieces? If we could just get the sock thief out of the dryers, perhaps there wouldn't that much lint

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• ChrisJ
    I keep loosing socks in the dryer. I wonder if there is a device in there that is chopping up my socks into lint size pieces? If we could just get the sock thief out of the dryers, perhaps there wouldn't that much lint
    It may have to do with you wearing them until there's almost nothing left.   Then when you wash and dry them the little bit left just blows out of the exhaust.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,691
    Must be a better filter system in this model.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan