Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seeking DIY Help for Roof Leak Patching

Options
Hey everyone,

So, I've been wrestling with a frustrating roof leak issue at my place for a while now. Turns out, it's not around the chimney like I thought, but at the peak of my roof. The previous owner went a bit wild with layers of roofing – it's like a shingle sandwich up there.

Here's the problem: Over time, some of the little fasteners have given up, and water sneaks through those gaps when it rains. It's a real pain to track down the source of the leak, especially with the layers of old roof involved. I've been doing the yearly grey tarp replacement routine, but it's not exactly a long-term fix.

So, I'm thinking of a DIY solution. Could I just grab some roof tar/goop and some mesh/fabric, and patch up the problematic area at the peak? It's not the prettiest fix, but I'm hoping it'll keep the leaks at bay until I can tackle a proper roof redo.

Any thoughts or other DIY suggestions for dealing with pesky roof leaks?

Comments

• oliviajacko
    oliviajacko Member Posts: 2
    edited March 25
    Options

Hey everyone,

So, I've been wrestling with a frustrating roof leak issue at my place for a while now. Turns out, it's not around the chimney like I thought, but at the peak of my roof. The previous owner went a bit wild with layers of roofing – it's like a shingle sandwich up there.

Here's the problem: Over time, some of the little fasteners have given up, and water sneaks through those gaps when it rains. It's a real pain to track down the source of the leak, especially with the layers of old roof involved. I've been doing the yearly grey tarp replacement routine, but it's not exactly a long-term fix.

So, I'm thinking of a DIY solution. Could I just grab some roof tar/goop and some mesh/fabric, and patch up the problematic area at the peak? It's not the prettiest fix, but I'm hoping it'll keep the leaks at bay until I can tackle a proper roof redo.

Any thoughts or other DIY suggestions for dealing with pesky roof leaks?
    Also i got information from Roof Replacement Sterling Va

any of your help is appreciated
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    Karnak and a trowel fixes any roof leak. Mad Dog 🐕 
  • gyrfalcon
    gyrfalcon Member Posts: 162
    Options
    I’ve used roof patch several times to get by in a pinch.  It works, it’s not pretty, it’s messy, it’s cheap. 
    Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    Options
    I have used a gallon of flex seal rolled onto roof at work. It stops leaks very well. Has good life span too. But this is on a flat TPE roof.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    Options
    r
    Roofing tar makes a mess but finds the holes. It's worth looking into.
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 592
    Options
    It seems that once the nails get loose, even if you tar over them they will push the tar up when its dried. Pulling the nails in motion and filling those holes with tar, then placing new nails (and coating them with tar) might hold, but thats quite a bit of work.
    I used rolled roofing once, on an old shack of a house. Didnt look too pretty but worked fine.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.