Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring T10 Thermostat to Aprilaire 400 Humidifier

Options
TheBeholder1805
TheBeholder1805 Member Posts: 5
edited March 19 in Thermostats and Controls
I would like to install a Honeywell T10 thermostat to control my Aprilaire 400 humidifier. Right now the humidifier solenoid is connected to the furnace as shown in the pic so that it only runs when the heat is on. Do I need to run a wire from the furnace up to one U slot on the T10, and then run another wire down from the other U slot to the solenoid? Or since the T10 is already powered and already knows when the furnace is on, can I just run a single wire from U to the solenoid (and switch the U slider up)? Basically, can I get rid of the red wire in the diagram and replace the humidistat with the T10?

Current wiring diagram and photo: https://imgur.com/a/wMAoai6

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    There's no humidistat in the return?
    Is that in an attic, with no emergency pan and safety switch?

That's a bypass humidifier and should only run during a heat call. It should be wired through a humidistat, and a fan proving switch, or through the HUM terminal on the furnace board. 

One side of the solenoid must be Common. On the T10, move the U jumper to the UP position, and use the upper U to power 24 volts to the other side of the solenoid. This is only if the humidifier is using the furnace transformer. 
  • TheBeholder1805
    TheBeholder1805 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    HVACNUT said:
    There's no humidistat in the return?
    Is that in an attic, with no emergency pan and safety switch?

That's a bypass humidifier and should only run during a heat call. It should be wired through a humidistat, and a fan proving switch, or through the HUM terminal on the furnace board. 

One side of the solenoid must be Common. On the T10, move the U jumper to the UP position, and use the upper U to power 24 volts to the other side of the solenoid. This is only if the humidifier is using the furnace transformer. 
    The humidistat is in the return. It’s near the top of the diagram but it’s physically to the left of the furnace in my crawlspace. The humidifier is using the furnace transformer so it sounds like I only need the one U wire. Thanks!
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,874
    Options
    Humidifiers should use a seperate transformer.