Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Paid consult request

Options
buildhouse
buildhouse Member Posts: 7
Hi all.

I posted before asking where to start. I'm building a home in NJ, will have forced air, and I'm looking to add hydronic in the floor of the slab for extra comfort. I got some help, read the Uponor design manual, downloaded Loopcad, did a heat loss, made a design, and I was able to get pretty far! With all that I know that I'm for sure missing a lot.

I would love to review my plans with an experienced designer to see what I'm missing and how to make it better. I likely need a half hour zoom meeting as at this point I need to figure out pex placement, I'm pouring my slab in about a week, the rest of the details I can do later when I have more time.

(Uponor is 20 business days out for a design.)

Anyone to suggest who I can pay for a half hour consult on Zoom to review? I tried Borst Engineering but they only do full designs and are booked solid through April.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Rich_49
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    @buildhouse you can reach me at 2018878856
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    kcopp
  • Radiant23
    Radiant23 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I’m in NJ as well, by exit 100 off garden state parkway. 732-691-6568 if it helps. 
    kcopp
  • buildhouse
    Options
    So I ended up speaking to @EzzyT and he was super helpful. Here is my layout and a drone shot right before we poured the slab (we are pouring the garage slab later). Could have been a but neater but hey, there's a first time for everything :)

Pressure held steady during the whole pour so it looks like we are ok.

I used PexB from supplyhouse.com as it was a lot cheaper, stapler from Amazon, hopefully wont regret my decisions.
    WMno57
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Are those unheated areas all cabinets? And the large unheated square left of middle? 18” spacing?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    So I ended up speaking to @EzzyT and he was super helpful. Here is my layout and a drone shot right before we poured the slab (we are pouring the garage slab later). Could have been a but neater but hey, there's a first time for everything :)  I used PexB from supplyhouse.com as it was a lot cheaper, stapler from Amazon, hopefully wont regret my decisions.
    You used an inferior product that’s encased in the concrete floor for the life of your house and you hope there won’t be any problems? I hope so too, but the laws of physics will outweigh the laws of economics every time.

At the very least, the tubing should be isolated from the boiler and any ferrous components by a heat exchanger. That’s would also require a stainless steel circulator and an epoxy coated expansion tank on the floor side.

After adding those, what have you really saved?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    Options
    I'm sure he used oxygen barrier pex-b.
    Bluefin brand is manufactured by Rifeng.
  • buildhouse
    Options
    Unheated areas are all cabinets, bookcases, etc. The large area is a walk in pantry, Ezzy told me not heat it...

Its oxygen barrier PEX B.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesEdTheHeaterManGGross