Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fitting for stovetop steam trap testing?

ariccio Member Posts: 43
I'm continuing in my saga trying to explain the basic fact that "thermostatic steam traps can actually fail open" to some of the relevant people in my building.

Yes, I'm probably going to have to put together a PowerPoint and use a whiteboard. But I'm sure that'll raise some disbelieving appeals to authority and credentials. So the final step I see is building one of Dan Holohan's stove top steam trap testers.

Really not too difficult of a proposal. It's a pot. The main risk is idiots turning the pot into a pressure vessel.

The question I have is the single fitting at the joint between the pot lid and the pipe fittings. What do you use for that?

I'm not a plumber. I see tank take-off fittings on McMaster-carr, but they mostly appear to be weld-in fittings, and I'm even more not a welder than I am not a plumber. 

Presumably there's a simple two sided threaded fitting out there that I can push through a hole in the lid?

I'm not too worried about how to get it perfectly leak tight. It's not gonna hold real pressure, and I figure I can use some high temperature epoxy to hold it for at least long enough to demonstrate.

If necessary, I guess I could use the high temp epoxy with a weld in fitting instead of welding and pray?

If I was flush with cash, I'd just buy one of these pressure cookers on Amazon that seem to have fittings already for the gauge:

That one is FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS though