Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TurboMax 30-3 or HTP Superstor Ultra-Max MSSU-45 Help!

Options
smd67
smd67 Member Posts: 2
edited February 26 in Domestic Hot Water
Hello- Thank you for all your expertise and knowledge.
I have a decision to make and am looking for any guidence. I currently have a HTP SuperStor 40 Gallon DHW indirect that is 30 years old, yes, 30 years. Never had any issues. It is now not making enough hot water and also blowing off out of the T-P valve every other day.

My Boiler is a oil fired Weil Mcclain cast iron with Riello head rated at 180K BTU. We like to keep our DHW at 130-140 deg.

I am being told that the current "cat's meow" would be the TurboMax 30-3 or 50-3 and the HTP SuperStor's are not what they used to be......HTP has a new model that is called the Ultra-MAX model MSSU-45N. Stainless tank and Stainless HX coil.

I will add that I have recently reached out to HTP for info and discussion and they have been very difficult to get any response or information of substance.

Has anyone had personal experiance with these 2 choices? What are your recomendations? Any advise, direction or information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,945
    Options
    Select the job based on the better contractor, not the equipment.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,211
    Options
    Compare DHW production based on boiler SWT. The reverse Indirects tend to need high tank temperatures to give you good DHW production.
    Some indirect brands are bumping up the coil sizes to work better with lower SWT, especially when paired with condensing boilers. Maybe that is the case with the ultra max?

If the 40 has served you well, either of those should perform as well or better for DHW capacity.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    Options
    an interesting tank here, an example of a lot of coil capacity 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 888
    Options
    I agree that HTP has had to make changes based on budget. Overall from my experience they've been very good, the numbers have been spot on, and the warranty (though a little bit of a pain) has been honored.
    I want to try a TurboMax but no one reps them in my area so that steers me away.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 610
    edited February 24
    Options
    The corrugated heat exchanger in the new HTP MSSU is new. Never be the guinea pig. For the same reason you don't use corrugated flex drain pipe under your sink, I feel like deposits will collect in the corrugations over time and be a pain to clean/flush as it's not a smooth bore. (edit: guess they claim the opposite: Lightweight, corrugated stainless steel Super Flex Heat Exchanger allows the coil to flex, minimizing scale buildup and prolonging tank life). Not sure why they used the word lightweight, as if anyone ever cared about the weight and rather has a negative connotation.

If you've been happy with your tank for all these years, my personal recommendation is to stick with the tried and true HTP SSU-45N. No built-in electronics to fail and have trouble getting in the future. Just a widely available, easily replaceable aquastat for your boiler.

• smd67
    smd67 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and advise. I am still undecided and talking to different plumbers and seeking additional comments on the TurboMax vs HTP Ultra-Max. Thanks.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    dko said:

The corrugated heat exchanger in the new HTP MSSU is new. Never be the guinea pig. For the same reason you don't use corrugated flex drain pipe under your sink, I feel like deposits will collect in the corrugations over time and be a pain to clean/flush as it's not a smooth bore. (edit: guess they claim the opposite: Lightweight, corrugated stainless steel Super Flex Heat Exchanger allows the coil to flex, minimizing scale buildup and prolonging tank life). Not sure why they used the word lightweight, as if anyone ever cared about the weight and rather has a negative connotation.

If you've been happy with your tank for all these years, my personal recommendation is to stick with the tried and true HTP SSU-45N. No built-in electronics to fail and have trouble getting in the future. Just a widely available, easily replaceable aquastat for your boiler.

I suspect that is the same stainless flex we use as solar piping material. Which is really nothing more than un-jacketed CSST tube. If so it is very thin walled tube, I’d sure keep an eye on Chlorides.

The corrugations help assure turbulent flow but come with a high pressure drop also.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA