Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC-DEP tag looped with wire around water meter and pipes

Options
Tolik
Tolik Member Posts: 85
edited February 22 in Plumbing
I've got a drip on water meter area but there is a metal wire that is looped around the fittings and unions. It is tagged with NYC-DEP.

May it be removed/cut and what are the repercussions of doing so (if any)?

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    edited February 22
    Options

$500 penalty, $1,000 default
    when you get caught, whenever that may be.

break seal permits are free, but requires LMP

if dep responsible
    https://portal.311.nyc.gov/servicerequest-create/What?caid=1ec98a85-fed2-e811-a970-000d3a1c5096
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 151
    edited February 22
    Options
    > what are the repercussions
    You find similar seals on electric and gas meters. I know if I broke my electric meter seal I could wire *around* the meter for free electricity. The company does not like that, and has serious fines for offenders.
    I assume dko's "LMP" is a Licensed Master Plumber. The company 'trusts' such people because if they do wrong their license can be yanked, their business ruined. The LMP will know how NOT to mess-up the metering. The break-seal permit probably also flags a follow-up so the next meter-reader takes an extra close look for wrong piping.

If the leak is on the *company* side of the meter, and not rotting your foundation, let it leak. If it is on your side of the meter, the excess water probably justifies calling a licensed plumber.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    If your talking about the GEC (grounding electrode conductor) that come from the main electrical panel (usually a #8,#6 or #4) depending on the service amperage you can remove that to fix leaks in the piping. I would recommend putting a jumper cable like you use to jump a car because in some areas you can have current running through the ground wire. Jump the inlet pie to the meter to the outlet pipe coming from the meter.

If you talking about wire seals on the meter you probably shouldn't touch those without permission
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    No no...Only in a dire emergency and then, you must notify DEP at once so they can reinstall one. Mad Dog 🐕 
    pecmsg
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    if the meter is leaking, isn't it the responsibility of the utility that owns the meter to repair it?

in any other city they'd just re-seal it when they found it 20 years later if it didn't look like you had cut it to bypass the meter but nyc might actually go after you.

Of course then there is the matter of how do they prove that it existed in the first place.
    Long Beach Ed
  • Tolik
    Tolik Member Posts: 85
    Options
    There is a small drip from under the valve. What is that knob that petrudes?

This is the part: (it’s labeled Ford)

This is the entire setup, the valve on the left is the one with issue.
    The drip is slow but I’m worried that it will get worse not better over time.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    I think that is a plug type valve but i'm not sure how that particular one works. Ford is the manufacturer. Sometimes there is a spring and nut on the other side that holds the plug in but I don't see that there.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    Wire seals are cut ✂️ quite a bit on emergency repairs. As long as the Water Authority is notified, not a problem. Its funny but, Water Authorities are usually responsible from the street main to your curb valve at or around the curb. Bldg owner is responsible for service entering the bldg and the rest, EXCEPT the Water meter itself.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Long Beach Ed
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    Those valves look like they are part of a prefabbed meter set, and I would think it would be the water dept problem to repair the leak.
    Larry WeingartenpecmsgMikeAmann
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Looking on Ford's web site those look like they are ball valves with some sort of synthetic rubber seats and o-rings for the seal for the shaft. Not terribly durable or repairable.