Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two Pipe Crane Baseboard Valve

Options
hrad
hrad Member Posts: 55
My valve broke. I need to find another. Hopefully exact match so I can pull out stem and replace with new. From 1950's

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Do you use it enough to warrant searching for a new valve or handle? Might be a tough find.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    What broke? You may have better luck finding a competent machinist to fabricate a new part.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • hrad
    Options
    It is heating season. The room gets too hot. The valves are 1/4 turn type. It now does not stop turning.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Can you stop turning it yourself? That is to say -- take it an eighth of a turn and see if it makes a difference. No change? try another eighth. There seem to be two possibilities -- the shaft broke above the stop in the valve body or the stop itself broke. It is likely that if you take it apart either one will be repairable by someone who is clever with a welder and grinder.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,017
    edited February 21
    Options
    I only see a packing nut. If there's a bonnet nut below, there aren't any flats on it. It might be tough to take apart.

I found this, but don't know if it's the correct size for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195381035627
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hrad
    Options
    Thank you! I will look at. Afraid to break taking apart and have no heat for awhile. Very hard to remove entire valve :(
  • Jamie Hall
    Options

I only see a packing nut. If there's a bonnet nut below, there aren't any flats on it. It might be tough to take apart.

I found this, but don't know if it's the correct size for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195381035627

That does look remarkably like. One has to wonder where eBay finds these things.

I'd also say, though, three things: at that price, give it a shot. Second, it got put together, it has to come apart. And, unless you have to, don't mess with it until summer...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,915
    Options
    That valve was probably assembled by inserting the shaft and valve guts thru the bottom then adding a snap ring to keep it from dropping down. Just a guess.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Or the seat screws in the bottom or something like that.

Do you need to change it or do you just need less heat? You could cover some of the baseboard element with foil to reduce the heat output, or is this cast iron baseboard? It looks like fintube with an old style cover or integrated cover.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    Looks like a spring loaded valve with that lever handle. Looks stuck open .. You can back off the packing nut and lube up the shaft to free it up ... Or just leave it alone...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • hrad
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The shaft keeps turning around so I assume broken off. It is a cast iron two pipe baseboard that puts out too much heat when very cold out and boiler cycles a lot. I will wait till summer. Would be very hard to remove and replace valve.