Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which is the best plumbing equipment tools to inspect our drainage system?

Options
poetadams
poetadams Member Posts: 3
edited February 7 in Plumbing
We have a bad day as we clean our sewer drain there is something beneath our drainage system that is blocked. We want to look at and inspect what really the scenario is inside. What are the best plumbing equipment or tools to use in inspecting the system?

Which is the best plumbing equipment tools to inspect our drainage system? 2 votes

Drain Camera
100%
hot_rodGGross 2 votes
CCTV Drain Cameras
0%
Pressure Water Jetter
0%
Plumber Drain Locator
0%
Manifying Camera
0%

Comments

• yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Your best tool to use is a drain service company that has cameras and drain service equipment already and can perform the fix at the same time as they do an inspection.
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Drain Camera
    It may take several devices. The drain may need to be jetted before a camera can see a break or other problem? Any or all those tools may be needed.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,915
    Options

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

WMno57GGross
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    The more important part is the person at the end of the tool. With the right person it could be just dig up and replace a joint vs digging up the whole thing.
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Drain Camera
    A jetter or locater are not really "inspection" devices. The cameras are for looking inside the pipe.
    Although I'm not sure what a manifying camera is?
    No gals allowed to operate that equipment? :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ann1moreSTEAM DOCTORGGross
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    edited February 7
    Options
    A jetter or locater are not really "inspection" devices. The cameras are for looking inside the pipe.

Unless your jetter has a camera on it

http://www.reddawgnozzles.com/red-dawg-scout-jet-camera-system
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Whatever this guy uses
    https://www.youtube.com/@DrainAddict
    Binged videos for hours one weekend..
    ethicalpaul
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Drain Camera
    Unless your jetter has a camera on it http://www.reddawgnozzles.com/red-dawg-scout-jet-camera-system
    I guess if you have. 6- 18” line and don’t want a live video, you might consider that combination. Seems sort of impractical?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    I'm just saying, that kind of thing may be why jetter appears on the poll. There may be much better units out there, possibly wired, I have no idea
    old_diy_guy
  • ann1more
    ann1more Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hot rod Bob " gals" is just as "offensive" how bout we stick to the the question and leave gender and questionable pronouns out of it, even with or without the emoticons. The passive aggresive use is nauseating. Seriously, we come here for answers and direction and the word "man" refers to mankind. Let's focus on plbg/htg problems,and not key words.
    STEAM DOCTORdkoGGross
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Drain Camera
    ann1more said:

Hot rod Bob " gals" is just as "offensive" how bout we stick to the the question and leave gender and questionable pronouns out of it, even with or without the emoticons. The passive aggresive use is nauseating. Seriously, we come here for answers and direction and the word "man" refers to mankind. Let's focus on plbg/htg problems,and not key words.

I think I’ll let the owner /moderator make that call. I’ve been posting here for 17 years without a complaint. Looks like you have been on the site for what, a few hours.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,313
    Options
    ann1more said:

@ann1more, I think there's been a misunderstanding. @hot_rod was making a Dad joke about a typo for the word "magnifying." There's no need to attack his character or draw assumptions based on one post. For the record, I know Bob personally and he is kind, supportive, and has dedicated his career to industry education. We're also allowed to make jokes here. As moderator, I saw his post and didn't take any offense.

I know that you're new here and see that you have found issue with another member's word choice on another post as well. I assure you that this community thrives on a foundation of mutual respect. Please give other members the benefit of the doubt before picking apart their comments or trying to moderate threads. I appreciate your concern, but I actively moderate this forum and I've got this. And I know that if you take the time to get to know our community members, you'll see that we're all here to help one another and learn. Thank you.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

STEAM DOCTORGGrossCLambdelcrossv
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Drain Camera
    I had a drain issue and my buddy who owns a drain cleaning business came over, he had a camera with a little locator pin attached to it. used the camera to find where there was a break in the drain, and then used the locator to mark the exact spot under the floor where the break was at. It was really cool.
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,323
    Options

@hot_rod was making a Dad joke about a typo for the word "magnifying."

I never noticed that magnify was misspelled. Bob's joke went over my head, and I had no idea what you all were talking about.
    For the first 20 years of my life, I hated writing. I can't spell, never learned grammar rules, and have terrible handwriting. Then word processors and spell checkers came along.
    Although I can't spell, I usually catch misspellings when I'm reading. Because the word "looks" wrong. Here, because only the "g" was missing, I never caught it.
    I learned to read visually. That is, I don't see letters, but instead entire words or sentences.
    My ex wife kicks a** with crossword puzzles and wheel of fortune. She will solve wheel of fortune puzzles when 15% of the letters are up. I could not make out the word when 85% of the letters were up. I would usually need to see the first letter.
    I think it's interesting how several people can look at the same thing, yet see things differently. Just another example of how we can be wired differently.
    I DIY.
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    Options
    For what it's worth, I find your writing clear, correct, and easy to understand @WMno57
    WMno57
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,313
    Options
    @WMno57, yes that is interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I think that's why it's important (especially in online discussions) to believe the best in people instead of assuming the worst right away. So much can be lost in translation via a keyboard. Thanks.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

WMno57ethicalpaulLarry Weingartendelcrossv