Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to ream pipe over 4"?

delcrossv
delcrossv Member Posts: 669
edited February 6 in Strictly Steam
Ridgid reamers top out at 4". So how does one ream 6" pipe? Cone grinding wheel on a drill? Seems kinda dicey.

It's odd Ridge offers a 6" threader but no way to ream the pipe in that size. Did/does someone make a 6" reamer?
Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,233
    edited February 6
    Hi, I'm likely old-fashioned, but how about a sharp, half round file? Possibly slow, but keeps you in control. :)

Yours, Larry
    delcrossvmattmia2EdTheHeaterManethicalpaul
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 841
    edited February 6
    For pipe over four inch:

For steel we grind the outside. The inside we grind or use a file as suggested above.

For CPVC or PVC we use a file for the outside and the inside.

For copper we use a file for the outside and the inside, then follow up outside with sand cloth.

EDIT: I apologize, I just realized you probably only referring to steel pipe that you are preparing for treading. I assume a file might suffice. We have never threaded pipe over four inch. We always weld or purchase premade nipples on any steel pipe over four inch.
    delcrossvLyle {pheloa} Carter
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,413
    There's this type of tool too.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/48-22-4255

I'd probably go with a die grinder if I were doing a lot of it.
  • delcrossv
    edited February 6
    mattmia2 said:

There's this type of tool too.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/48-22-4255

I'd probably go with a die grinder if I were doing a lot of it.

That would take forever on iron pipe. Die grinder sounds plausible.

So, did reamers always top out at 4" ? I did see one on ebay that goes on a powerhead (?)
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 841
    edited February 6
    We have and still occasionally use the Milwaukee reamer that @mattman_2 linked. It works great on copper, but I doubt is could be used on steel.

As far as reaming tools that are designed for reaming streel pipe larger than four inch, I bet there is something out there. There is no way that every five or six inch nipple we see was reamed by hand with a file. Same holds true for the hundreds of twenty one foot lengths we have purchased over the years. Perhaps they use a lathe of some sort?
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,230
    The Oster 8R can thread up to 8". It comes with its own reamer.
    https://www.ostermfg.com/thread-machines/oster-8r

Standard Equipment Furnished

Motor - 7.5hp., 1200 rpm., 3 phase, 60 Hz. 230 or 460 volts. (Motors of other specifications available.)
    Motor Control - REVERSING magnetic starter and push button station, with safety 120V control circuit at machine controls.
    Dieheads - ONE, radial, quick-opening type, adjustable to handle all sizes in standard range.
    Die Holders - ONE set to cover standard pipe range.
    Dies - ONE set to cover standard pipe range - 2-1/2" to 8", HIGH SPEED STEEL (Symbol 8R).
    Reamer - Swing-type.
    I DIY.
    delcrossvLong Beach Ed
  • mattmia2
    I suspect there isn't a lot of field threading of stuff over 4" going on, most probably is cut with a saw or grinder that doesn't leave much of a burr and joined with other methods.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 558
    edited February 6
    Threading machines with 6"+ threading capability will have their own reamer assembly that's part of the machine. If using a geared threader attachment to a smaller threading machine like a Ridgid 300, you'd use manual methods suggested above.

Imagine holding up and ratcheting a 6" reamer..

delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    edited February 6
    WMno57 said:

Standard Equipment Furnished

Motor - 7.5hp., 1200 rpm., 3 phase, 60 Hz. 230 or 460 volts. (Motors of other specifications available.)
    Motor Control - REVERSING magnetic starter and push button station, with safety 120V control circuit at machine controls.
    Dieheads - ONE, radial, quick-opening type, adjustable to handle all sizes in standard range.
    Die Holders - ONE set to cover standard pipe range.
    Dies - ONE set to cover standard pipe range - 2-1/2" to 8", HIGH SPEED STEEL (Symbol 8R).
    Reamer - Swing-type.

Man! I hate to try to move that to a jobsite. 😲 Maybe call lengths back to the shop?

Someone has to make a 6" portable reamer.
  • mattmia2
    I think a welder would be much easier to move to the job. I'd imagine one would only bring that on site for something like a high rise or refinery project.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,563
    edited February 6
    delcrossv said:

WMno57 said:

Man! I hate to try to move that to a jobsite. 😲 Maybe call lengths back to the shop?

Someone has to make a 6" portable reamer.

Maybe this is portable enough to get to the jobsite

No threading or reaming required.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • delcrossv
    mattmia2 said:

I think a welder would be much easier to move to the job. I'd imagine one would only bring that on site for something like a high rise or refinery project.

Fair enough, but that still doesn't solve the initial question (except by filling or grinding). No one makes a 6' reamer that fits in , for example, a Ridgid 300?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,563
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    dko said:

Threading machines with 6"+ threading capability will have their own reamer assembly that's part of the machine. If using a geared threader attachment to a smaller threading machine like a Ridgid 300, you'd use manual methods suggested above.

Imagine holding up and ratcheting a 6" reamer..

That's the point, they make a 6" threader, but not corresponding reamer.
  • delcrossv
    edited February 6
    Woo Hoo! Now we're cooking with gas! 2" to 6"! And it's portable! 😍
    Thanks Ed.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,854
    These work best in a high speed die grinder, I recently bought a Milwaukee cordless die grinder., very handy.
    They will work in cordless drills also, but slower
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    Still strange they'd offer a hand geared threader but not the corresponding reamer
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,317
    Cut the pipe with a bandsaw. Then there is hardly a burr to remove.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,696
    A die grinder ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • ann1more
    ann1more Member Posts: 5
    We use a hard rock cone attached to a angle grinder for any field dressing on ID of pipe over 3". Flap wheel to dress OD angle for welding in the field, cuts made with O/A torch or cutting disc.
    delcrossvWMno57