Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Removing a Pressuretrol" revisited

Options
wilder0m
wilder0m Member Posts: 54
I found this old thread (https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/134707/removing-a-pressuretrol) where multiple commenters said DO NOT remove a Pressuretrol by unscrewing the bottom screws, as this would disconnect some essential inner workings. But then I found this video where Gordon does exactly that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57p64_py5QY

The Pressuretrol in the video is a different model than the one in the thread photos. I have one that looks like the one in the video. Should I, or should I not, remove it that way? I'm planning to put on a T and a low pressure gauge for now, and a Vaporstat later.

Thanks.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    My question is, why do you want to take it apart? If you need to take it off, just unscrew it from the pipe. The wiring should be much easier to deal with than taking the device apart.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • wilder0m
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

My question is, why do you want to take it apart? If you need to take it off, just unscrew it from the pipe. The wiring should be much easier to deal with than taking the device apart.

I'm not certain yet, but I may have the same problem as in the original thread I linked to.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,703
    Options
    Then put a union in your new piping so you don't have to unscrew it again.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    I have installed several steam boilers and have repaired several others. I don't believe that I ever had an occasion where you could not get the pressure control off to inspect the pigtail. Sometimes I needed to turn the pigtail to a different position so the control was at the edge of the boiler, or turned away from the LWCO, but there was always a way. If I did find it difficult, then I would add a fitting or two to make it easy to inspect the pigtail the next time. Pigtails need to be inspected regularly, so why not make it easy.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

yellowdogethicalpaul
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Options
    I have the PA404A model pressurertols (the same as in the thread) on my two boilers. On more than one occasion, I've removed the screws in the bottom to disassemble. (Before I added unions.)

It really isn't a big deal. You just have to be careful not to lose the screws, and to understand where they and the other parts go inside the box. It makes it much easier to put the screws back in if you lower the pressure settings as much as possible so there is minimal force on the mechanism.

I have never done it on the type of pressuretrol in the video so can't speak to that one specifically. I assume it isn't much different.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    Options
    What are you trying to avoid, Removing two wires ? I will say once you dissemble a limit , your name is on it ... Food for thought .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• wilder0m
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

What are you trying to avoid, Removing two wires ? I will say once you dissemble a limit , your name is on it ... Food for thought .

No, I just thought I might not have enough room to unscrew it from the pigtail, or to unscrew the pigtail itself (similar to the problem demonstrated in the video). But on closer look I do think there's enough room. I'll find out once I get all the fittings I need to add the low pressure gauge.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    Because sometimes the pressure control is installed and it is too close to the boiler jacket to spin and another control like a low water cutoff is installed next to it which prevents the pressure control assembly from being spun off.
    wilder0m
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

And Ed the heater man says the same thing.
    What are you trying to avoid, Removing air from the tires ? I will say once you remove the lug nuts , your name is on it ... Food for thought .

What are you trying to avoid, washing your underwear ? I will say once you open the package of briefs, your name is on it. if your mother has a needle and thread. ... Food for thought .

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• wilder0m
    Options

Because sometimes the pressure control is installed and it is too close to the boiler jacket to spin and another control like a low water cutoff is installed next to it which prevents the pressure control assembly from being spun off.

Exactly, as shown in the video.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    I'd rather cut a pigtail in half to remove it than try my luck reassembling a pressure control. And I love to take things apart and put them back together. But not pressuretrols.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    yellowdog
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    edited February 2
    Options
    It may have seen it on YouTube but it's not correct practice . No safety should be repaired ,only replaced . Ask me how I know that ...

If it was installed on the boiler it can be removed . I know package units come with the tight pressure control . The pigtail and control were spun on together . Something still in the way ? It can also be cut out and extended . You can add a tee for service at that time.. Work safe out there ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    I agree. Cut the pipe or nipple or pigtail and extend it out and use a clean out tee with a plug. Or better yet use a union. There is too much liability.

A union simplifies checking the pigtail.
    Big Ed_4
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @wilder0m,
    Why would you want to further compromise a typically poorly calibrated device ? With a PA404A that diagram extension can move around and it can change the calibration.

If you can verify the calibration after (as the author of the video states) it is probably doable. If you can't verify the calibration and proper operation I would not do it.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System