Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Securing fuel oil line

Options
Miata
Miata Member Posts: 17
Recently had Roth tank installed outside. Installer reused 45 year old line from tank to burner. He is coming out soon to replace with coated line. My questions are how to secure line from where it enters through block wall to burner to lessen chance of failure through vibration. Secondly, fuel line could be moved closer to hw heat return line to warm incoming oil. Can fuel line be zip tied to return line for warmth. Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    Don't attach the line solidly to the pipe -- with zip ties or anything else. There is, inevitably, some vibration in the line from the pump, and the last thing you want is to have that coupled to the pipe and made audible throughout the house. If you want, though, you could wrap the pipe at the location you want to tie with foam insulation -- at least an inch -- and then GENTLY zip tie the oil line to the insulation and thus the pipe.

I would also protect the oil line where it comes through the block wall with foam insulation.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    edited January 29
    Options
    If you are interested in warming the oil before it gets to the nozzle, install a tiger loop. I have used that device to solve "Cold Oil" problems many times. With a few ounces of fuel in the basement near the burner, that cold oil (when it eventually gets there) will mix with the warmer oil from the fuel pump return line and become warmer on its own. Also Deaerated oil is more efficient to burn that oil with micro-bubbles of air mixed in with it after it gets pressurized at the pump. Boyles law works with many fluids, not just water.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?