Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 leak

Options
nsmith182
nsmith182 Member Posts: 2
Complete layman here so I apologize when I don’t use the proper terminology. I have a leak coming out of a pipe that comes over the top and down the side of my system 2000. Expansion tank and relief valve have been replaced. Water still leaks. After they were replaced it worked fine for about 3 hours but after running a few zones it leaks again. Any thoughts? I’ve attached photos. 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    For some reason the pressure is way too high -- perhaps twice what it needs to be. Be happy that your pressure relief valve is working...

There could be many reasons for that. The most likely ones are some combination of an expansion tank which has failed or a pressure regulating valve which has failed.

Try this. Somewhere on the water line from you domestic water to the boiler there should be a shutoff valve. Probably a ball valve with a handle you turn perpendicular to the pipe to shut off the water. Close it, and drain just barely enough water from the heating system to drop the pressure to read 15. Then keep an eye on it. The pressure shouldn't change while the boiler is not operating, but may go up to perhaps 20 or so when it gets hot -- and then come back down to where it was when the system cools off again.

Report back what happens, please!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,170
    Options
    You really need to check your expansion and most likely replace it. You probably need a replacement automatic air vent. If that pressure reading on your tridicator gauge is correct then you definitely need a new pressure relief valve. 
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,843
    Options
    If the extrol and boiler relief valve were replaced, it could be the PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) bypassing, or an internal leak in the plate heat exchanger for the water heater. 
  • szwedj
    szwedj Member Posts: 66
    Options
    All good comments and suggestions, I can say that out of all the possible causes given, an internal leak on a the plate heat exchanger is the least likely, it's possible but pretty rare. Your service tech should be able to determine cause fairly easy and if they run into any difficulties, they can always call EK tech support for help.

Joe Szwed
    Energy Kinetics
    Joe Szwed
    Energy Kinetics
  • nsmith182
    nsmith182 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments. After the technician replaced parts including relief valve, expansion tank, and circulator the boiler would still hold high pressure. I asked the company for a new technician to take a look and he immediately diagnosed it as the plate heat exchanger. He mentioned that it’s rare for them to go, but he was certain that’s what the problem was. I’m happy to report that after it was replaced the pressure is reading correctly and there is no longer water coming from the relief valve. Thank you!
    SuperTechszwedjHVACNUT
  • szwedj
    szwedj Member Posts: 66
    Options
    @nsmith182 Glad to hear it was resolved.

Joe Szwed
    Energy Kinetics
    Joe Szwed
    Energy Kinetics