Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

At my wits end - newly installed radiator making noises

Options
Hello and thank you for any input in advance.

I live in an old building with 1 pipe steam heat; all of my radiators have had issues within the last year. One suddenly started making noises and when I removed the cover I noticed it was also leaking from a rusty spot (not the union) so I was advised to replace the whole thing.

$700 later and I am still hearing the same noises. Sometimes it sounds like a grinding metal noise and other times it sounds like pebbles or banging when the heat turns on. I am on the first floor above the laundry room and we do have plans to re-pitch a section of pipes that are causing banging in another area of my unit but now I am concerned because I have never heard ANY noises in this area of my apartment until ~2 weeks ago. I was hoping that replaced the radiator would resolve this issue but it is the exact same.

Can someone please listen and advise if it sounds like piping? I am truly at my wits end here: https://youtube.com/shorts/EQ-52bT_wBA?si=3iTqJLrH9rfd35a_
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,367
    Options
    Somewhere you have trapped water -- a pretty fair amount of it. Has nothing to do with the radiator, unless the radiator is pitched wrong or the valve isn't fully open.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • oliviachicago1
    oliviachicago1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Jamie, thanks so much for the reply. The valve is fully open and there are shims under the radiator leaning toward the valve. I also attached 2 photos of it with a level on it - I would really appreciate if someone could take a look so I can figure out how to best proceed.

• Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    The steam pipe drops through the floor, then where does it go?  Straight down,  to the left, or the right?  There is water hanging out in the pipe below the floor, you will need to find out where.  When you lifted the radiator, it is possible that the pipe has a sag.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 978
    Options
    check the boiler water quality and water level. most issues with steam are not at the radiators. it's at the boiler. flush the boiler water just to get clean water in the boiler and then see how it runs. by flushing i mean remove all the existing water.
    Long Beach Ed