Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

R wired through safeties?

Options
Hi, I've got a large HVAC company telling me conflicting information, was hoping someone could help settle a few things for me:
- I've got a 22 year old Pennco steam boiler (incorrectly piped with copper...) that my HVAC company told me would be compatible with an Ecobee smart thermostat. I knew I would need a common wire added, they said no problem. I'm a few weeks post-install, and my thermostat is sending me automated messages that the thermostat is restarting often. I logged into my Ecobee account and lo and behold, the thermostat is losing power at the end of every heating cycle.
- I called the installing company, and after coming over, said that R was "wired through the safeties" which was causing this behavior. They also said the Ecobee was not the ideal thermostat for my system after all, because you can't change the # cycles per hour and they want to change it out for a smart Honeywell thermostat. My questions are thus:
1) Was this wired incorrectly?
2) I'm not particularly knowledgeable, but would an additional transformer and isolation relay solve my problem?
3) Is there anything wrong with an Ecobee controlling a steam system like mine? Or do I need a Honeywell (not sure which model they want to install)? Thank you

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @ForestfortheTrees,
    Looking through some older manuals (not sure which boiler is yours), looks like the manufacture recommends just a relay.

https://penncoboilers.com/documents/archived
    https://penncoboilers.com/sites/default/files/980.pdf

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    HVACNUTSTEVEusaPA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,387
    Options
    1 -- yes, in a sense. With two wire thermostats that arrangement was quite normal. Not with the fancy new sturr.
    2 -- yes, that will fix the problem
    3 -- the Ecobee is actually not too bad with steam, as modern thermostats go.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ForestfortheTrees
    ForestfortheTrees Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I have the 1606HSD so that manual is indeed the one. I will let my contractor know that an isolation relay should solve the problem. I'm a little annoyed they didn't put one in from the beginning...
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @ForestfortheTrees,
    If the C wire is needed, I probably would do it this way.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    ForestfortheTrees
  • ForestfortheTrees
    ForestfortheTrees Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Update: the HVAC tech agreed with my assessment, installed the relay, and all is well. Thanks for the help. Photo to show the contrast with wire management from the first guy to the second