Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Corroded drain valve and pinhole in return pipe

Options
hotfoot1981
hotfoot1981 Member Posts: 4
edited January 16 in Strictly Steam

I have a 1987 Burnham 140k btu, 1 pipe system in Brooklyn NY,house built in 1but,

1st question my boiler drain valve has corroded so this year I use the return line drain out to remove water. After removing 2 gal of water which was rusty. So I did it a again with my hose under the water steam started to come out with very rusty water. IS THiS OK TO DO?

2) I had a pin hole leak in the return line today, I patched it with epoxy and screw. Then wrapped a 3inch wide bicycle tube around it and put epoxy on it 2 times. I put 3 clamps on it one over the screw(with less pressure than the clamps at the ends). Do you think this will last until the spring when I can get a plumber to change out the pipe? Can I send you a pic?pipe is over 30 feet long stairs have been built over it wall built over it. How would it be replaced?

3) can I use a plastic drain out valve, to replace my corroded one? I think it came from my old water tank.

aced

3) can I use a plastic drain out valve, to replace my corroded one? I think it came from my old water tank.

mattmia2

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,569
    Options
    I would not use a plastic drain on a steam boiler. Your patch will probably hold just keep an eye on it and make sure the low water cutoff on the boiler works.
    Mad Dog_2ethicalpaulhotfoot1981
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    Your 70 year plus return line needs to be replaced . Run a new copper line would be recommended from me .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

ethicalpaul
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,044
    edited January 16
    Options
    No plastic. You're definitely ready for new returns, you're on borrowed time pal. Mad Dog 🐕 
    ethicalpaul
  • hotfoot1981
    hotfoot1981 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    THANKS all! Great site. Ebebratt-ed yes the low water and automated refill are both working. I have a 1/2 gallon of epoxy and i am thinking of painting the whole return line in epoxy reinforced with screening. I can't see how a plumber would replace the whole pipe without ripping up my whole basement. My mom's sewer pipe had a 2 foot crack a decade ago and i fixed it with the reinforced expoy and it has not leaked a dropped since. Per your advise I will pick up a brass drain. Do you think I can keep on cleaning out my system from the return drain and fix the drain valve with brass in the spring. Or is this an ASAP fix. I was thinking to wait for the spring so I could clean out the pigtails, pressure valve at the same time. But if it's ASAP I will do it next week.