Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vent or trap?

Options
guzzinerd
guzzinerd Member Posts: 235
edited January 15 in Strictly Steam
Found a couple of traps bridging my main and return lines high up on each side of the boiler.

I ordered rebuild kits but now wondering if they are being used as vents, can't I just plug the returns and put vents on the mains??  These haven't been serviced since installed decades ago and can just imagine the amount of steam they're letting into the return.

The moisture at the base is just penetration oil.
Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,381
    Options
    Thos are called crossover traps, and they are essential to the operation of the whole system. The rebuild kits will be a LOT cheaper than the equivalent vents.

However, go back to near the boiler and make sure that the main vents on the dry returns there are big enough and operating.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 235
    edited January 15
    Options
    Thos are called crossover traps, and they are essential to the operation of the whole system. The rebuild kits will be a LOT cheaper than the equivalent vents. However, go back to near the boiler and make sure that the main vents on the dry returns there are big enough and operating.
    I installed a new Gorton #2 near the boiler last year and there's the Dunham 9a that seems to be working ok as well.

Rebuild kits for the cross overs are on the way from Nick at the Steam Depot, what a great guy.
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.