Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIY steam return line vent replacement?

Options
masinter
masinter Member Posts: 6
Hello! We're new to a 1900s house and have done all the important things (read We Got Steam Heat, add insulation where it's missing, check all the pitches, and apologize for ever discounting steam heat).

One of the main vents on our return (one pipe system) isn't venting properly. It's a Vent Rite 77. Is this a DIY replacement, or, given that it's not a radiator vent, should we call someone to replace it? If it's something we can replace ourselves, do we need to do anything beyond shut the system off and let it cool?

Thank you!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,387
    Options
    No reason not to do it yourself, except that persuading the old vent to unscrew may be a chore. I'd suggest plenty of Croil or PB Blaster or whatever you like and letting it soak in well, then doing it again. Since there are nice flats on the vent, a really big crescent wrench on the vent, with a pipe wrench on the T to hold it steady (may need two people).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BobCmasinter
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,070
    Options
    Two wrenches for sure.

Once off you may need clearance away from that beam for a larger vent, perhaps a Gorton #2?

You can add a nipple up, 90, longer nipple, 90 and then air vent up.

Just so the horizontal nipple will drain back to the tee.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,575
    Options
    Or 2 45 deg elbows.
    delcrossv
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Or if you can't turn it, just use a union for a few $$ more.
  • masinter
    masinter Member Posts: 6
    edited January 17
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! We had a service for a separate issue (leaking rad union) and they put a Gorton 1 on it while they were there. It took a lot more persuasion from a pipe wrench than I would have felt comfortable with. Solved that problem. Until the new one (see my new post...)