Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why is water entering steam pipes?

Options
juliei
juliei Member Posts: 2
Hello, I have a 1930s steam system (original black pipe, split supply, reverse return with a wet leg along the bottom of the wall with original Trane convectors/covers ) and am suddenly hearing water gurgling throughout the pipes in the basement. This has happened before and usually this is a clue, per the person who installed our new boiler 4 years ago, that it's time for maintenance. But, the water has recently been skimmed / drained, and it is clean.

I'm also not hearing any hammering accompanying the water gurgle - just a significant amount of water coursing through the pipes. According to the digital gauge, I'm not losing water in the system. At the glass gauge on the boiler, I can see that the water level, at rest, has dipped slightly (maybe 1 inch) from about 6 weeks ago when we last cleaned the water and filled it up to the top of the water line. Any thoughts on what else might be causing water to get sucked up into the steam pipes?

By way of history, when I moved into this house in 2019, I realized that the steam heat wasn't working efficiently (oil was being guzzled and the tank needed refilling in a matter of weeks and the rooms in the back of the house didn't seem to be getting warm). Sure enough a non-original oil boiler had been piped back in incorrectly and sans a proper Hartford loop. I live in the DC metro so not a lot of steam experts, but I eventually found one through this site and he and his crew replaced the oil boiler with a Peerless series 63/64 gas boiler and re-piped it back in correctly. No modifications were made to the supply or return pipes or the wet leg. We learned how to change the water properly from the technician who came out in subsequent seasons.

Because our water gets pretty dirty after the system runs for a couple of months, we usually need to drain/skim/slow fill the water about twice a season to keep the system healthy. Because the new boiler install was and maintenance visits are very expensive, my husband and I do our own maintenance (I also grew up in a house in Maine heated solely by a Jotul woodstove so like to do things myself, if I can). If you have any thoughts on what might be causing water to enter the steam pipes and what we might do to correct, I would really appreciate your ideas. Many thanks and stay warm.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Pressure settings and gauge indication?
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @juliei,
    Could the wet return be plugged up or significantly restricted and the condensate is backing up into the main ?

System pictures may help the folks here.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    juliei
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Is there any additive in the water? Is there too much and it is priming?
    juliei
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,044
    Options
    Just because it looks clear & clean, doesn't mean it is.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    ethicalpaulmattmia2juliei
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,707
    Options
    From your description, either dirty/oily water or bad piping is causing water to get thrown into your header and/or main piping. When you hear the gurgling, what is the level of your water? The inch or so you lost in 6 weeks could just be the normal water loss of a one-pipe steam system, I'm not talking about that.

Here is what it looks like if you could see it. In my case it was a combination of dirty water and bad piping. I was able to improve both to stop this "surging".

The action occurs at 40 seconds in. I have more videos on my channel that show surging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSRvvNQ5WLc
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    juliei
  • mattmia2
    Options
    If whoever installed it isn't already looking at it about once a year it would be a great idea to schedule them to test the safeties, check over the system, check combustion, and figure out the wet steam issue. If it has been checked then certainly you can try a few other things first but it really should be checked by a competent professional every year or 2 to make sure the safeties are functioning and it is burning properly.
    juliei
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    Options
    Yes check the pressure. Assuming it is piped properly since someone from this site did it it could have a plugged or partially plugged pigtail by now.
    juliei
  • juliei
    juliei Member Posts: 2
    edited January 17
    Options
    Hi everyone, many thanks for you quick and thoughtful replies. We drained/skimmed/filled up the water (there are no additives in the water currently) again over the weekend and, though it looked clean in the gauge, @Mad Dog_2 was right, it was actually dirty and oily. Changed the water again (3x this season), and I've not heard any water gurgling for several days (and the system has been very active with the cold weather. System set and operates at just below 2psi). I'll keep an eye on it and as @mattmia2 suggested, probably time for a professional visit to check on the health of the system.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    If there is oil, are you skimming it? Draining will not remove oil, the oil will just stick to the inside of the boiler as it drains and float to the top of the new water.
    ethicalpauljuliei