Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relief valve leaking

Options
aurora22
aurora22 Member Posts: 32
Ok. I have a peerless oil boiler. This also my water heater. I had a leak in the pipe at a rad the other day. Found I had no pressure. Now pipe fixed. Upon bringing the pressure to 15 lbs. when I saw too much pressure 18 lbs. I used the relief valve to remove water and pressure.  Now valve leaks.  Valve is old. So I’m assuming to replace. I need to know which valves to shut and how the suggested way to drain the water 

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    Where is the relief valve? It looks like there may be isolation valves to isolate only the boiler but I can't tell from your pictures.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    As the water is heated the pressure will go up. 20, 22, 25#’s is not uncommon. Your safety release should be at 30#’s. 
  • aurora22
    Options
    Last pic. Closest to the wall. It’s immediate next to the fill valve w lever 
  • aurora22
    Options
    Yes. I understand what should be. But don’t believe it. I was told water pressure should be no more than 15lbs. Yes the system is supposed to hopefully handle 30 . But the valve now leaks even as low as 8
    mattmia2
  • aurora22
    Options
    Last pic. Top row. Boiler feed valve , fill valve w lever and then relief valve
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    That I at least hope is a pressure reducing valve with a fast fill lever but I can't see what it is connected to from that picture, i assume the furthest back pipe is a supply the domestic water system in to a check valve then in to the pressure reducing valve.
  • aurora22
    Options
    yes I believe so. I’m not home so I’m sorry I can’t get any addl pics for a little while
  • aurora22
    Options
    But yes the relief valve is what is leaking
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    First thing to try is to snap the relief valve open and closed a few times. You may have gotten some dirt and rust in the valve seat and if you flush it it may stop leaking. It's a long shot but may work.

You need to shut the incoming valve in the water supply which is down near the floor you can see it in the 2d picture. The pipe on the relief valve outlet (heading toward the left side of the boiler) also drops down near the floor I think there is a valve there as well. Shut both those valves.

There is a union on the relief valve so you can take the pipe apart to change it. You may have to buy the relief valve and the PRV all in one package.
  • aurora22
    Options
    Awesome. This is what I needed. Can u also tell me. Once replaced. Is the boiler feed line suppose to be left open?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,161
    Options
    Looks like someone installed a square pressure gauge where the pressure relief valve typically goes.
    You definitely don’t want a valve between the boiler and the relief valve. That could isolate the valve from the boiler and cause a serious problem

If the valve has been leaking, it needs to be replaced. Personally I would install a new one on the boiler. With a tee if you really need that gauge. Should be a gauge in the boiler jacket somewhere?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    WMno57