Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Dope for 2" Home Oil Tank Lines?

Options
HandyFS
HandyFS Member Posts: 108
Subjective I know, but what do you all like using on your 2" Oil Fill and Vent lines these days? Rector Seal 5? Pro-Dope? Blue Monster? Something else? Supply house carries all of those (Didn't see Gasoila)

I see the White can of Blue Monster says "Formulated for extra lubrication on metal pipe fittings".

I've used a little this and a little that throughout the years on oil, gas, water lines and never do enough to have a favorite.

Was going to skip teflon and just put a good coat of dope.

What do you all like for oil tank fill and vent lines?

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    Options
    You cannot use Hercules Pro Dope on oil lines.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options

This is a very good product. Look it up?
    STEVEusaPA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,563
    Options
    Any brand od teflon tape cannot be used on oil.

Whatever you pick make sure you can use it on oil. It will say on the can. GasOila is ok. I like rectorseal "true Blue"
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    permatex 51d was always my go to and seemed to not get the weepers that all fill pipes seem to get over time. the fact that it is black is also a bonus in my book. less messy looking.
  • HandyFS
    HandyFS Member Posts: 108
    edited January 12
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm going to seek out and make sure my dope is "Heating Oil" friendly. I tried to find GasOila locally, unfortunately nobody has it and I need to do this job asap so I'm going to go with probably Blue Monster, or Megaloc, both which say compatible with Heating Oils.

Local guy told me he uses BlueMonster dope, and Blue Monster 1" tape (Supposedly compatible with heating oils) on all of his 2" oil fill/vent line threads and that's what he stands by. I guess everyone has their methods, time to decide on mine.
    Intplm.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    edited January 12
    Options
    Thread sealant compatibility charts attached

There is no difference between blue monster branded ptfe tape and other brands except the color and density. It's all PTFE. Densities vary wildly, just compare to the tape that comes with shower heads that come apart like lamp wick.. but it's still ptfe.

ptfe tape is not recommended because of the higher chance of misuse and overtightening. not because of the chemical incompatibility. little strands at the end falling off clogging the tiny holes and being a great lubricant can lead to overtightening. of course you can say "i won't do that" but when there's an alternative option of using paste that's equally available.. there isn't a point in risking it. And manufacturers prohibit the use of ptfe tape for those reasons as it is probably one of the most common issues faced with their equipment.

Only question I have is for Rectorseal which lists some products applicable for Heating Oils, but not for Diesel Fuel Oil. Is #2 heating oil not the same as diesel fuel oil?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,563
    Options
    @HandyFS

any teflon tape is against the oil codes unfortunately. The oil pump mfgs caused a stink about it 40 years ago so it is no longer allowed on any oil piping.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    dko said:

Thread sealant compatibility charts attached

There is no difference between blue monster branded ptfe tape and other brands except the color and density. It's all PTFE. Densities vary wildly, just compare to the tape that comes with shower heads that come apart like lamp wick.. but it's still ptfe.

ptfe tape is not recommended because of the higher chance of misuse and overtightening. not because of the chemical incompatibility. little strands at the end falling off clogging the tiny holes and being a great lubricant can lead to overtightening. of course you can say "i won't do that" but when there's an alternative option of using paste that's equally available.. there isn't a point in risking it. And manufacturers prohibit the use of ptfe tape for those reasons as it is probably one of the most common issues faced with their equipment.

Only question I have is for Rectorseal which lists some products applicable for Heating Oils, but not for Diesel Fuel Oil. Is #2 heating oil not the same as diesel fuel oil?

Thanks for the compatibility charts. I usually use Rectorseal #5 for everything, but now I see that there is a few things that it doesn't like. But #7 checks ALL the boxes.
    So if someone wants to buy one sealant that covers everything and not have to think about this each and every time, then Rectorseal #7 is the way to go.
    HandyFS