Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler ignition parts lifespan

Options
guzzinerd
guzzinerd Member Posts: 235
With this recent cold weather I worry about boiler ignition parts failing in the middle of the night.  Is it worth keeping these extra parts on hand?

Everything has been working well but they're what came with the unit when I bought the building 3 years ago and have no idea how old they are.

Thanks 

Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,927
    edited January 9
    Options
    I can safely tell you that the gas valve and the Baso switch are both over 20 years old, as a matter of fact they could be 40 years old.
    EDIT: The date code on that gas valve indicates the valve was manufactured in 1997 some time in October.

The thermocouple may have been changed in the last 10 years and that is a part that does wear out, so having one of those on hand is not a bad idea.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Resideo-Q390A1061-36-Thermocouple?_br_psugg_q=36+inch+thermocouple

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-INTERNATIONAL-60036-Eastman-Thermocouple/dp/B00KPEU9AC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3G5F22UBQTX2C&keywords=thermocouple&qid=1704831183&s=industrial&sprefix=thermocouple,industrial,89&sr=1-3&th=1

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ethicalpaulguzzinerdmattmia2
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    I can safely tell you that the gas valve and the Baso switch are both over 20 years old, as a matter of fact they could be 40 years old. EDIT: The date code on that gas valve indicates the valve was manufactured in 1997 some time in October. The thermocouple may have been changed in the last 10 years and that is a part that does wear out, so having one of those on hand is not a bad idea. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Resideo-Q390A1061-36-Thermocouple?_br_psugg_q=36+inch+thermocouple https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-INTERNATIONAL-60036-Eastman-Thermocouple/dp/B00KPEU9AC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3G5F22UBQTX2C&keywords=thermocouple&qid=1704831183&s=industrial&sprefix=thermocouple,industrial,89&sr=1-3&th=1
    Thank you.  Will order a 36" coupler to have on hand then.
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Can you post more pictures of the entire gas train devices?
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    JUGHNE said:
    Can you post more pictures of the entire gas train devices?

This is an older pic but not much has changed since. This the section you wanted to see?
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    amir12 said:
    The lifespan of boiler ignition parts can vary depending on factors such as usage, maintenance, and environmental conditions. Common components like spark ignitors, flame sensors, and control modules typically last several years, ranging from 5 to 10 years on average. Regular maintenance, including cleaning and inspection, can extend the lifespan of these parts. However, factors like corrosion or electrical issues may affect their longevity. If ignition components fail or show signs of wear, it's advisable to replace them promptly to ensure the boiler's efficient and safe operation.

It's all working perfectly, what are signs of wear?  It's just all just dirty from age.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,707
    Options
    I'm not the expert on dating stuff exactly but my guess would be that boiler is from the 50's or 60's.
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Does this have 2 pilots? Is that what the Baso switch is for?
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Does this have 2 pilots? Is that what the Baso switch is for?
    It does have 2 pilots.  I leave them on in the off season as well.  The boiler is from the 50s from what I can tell.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    I have a number of rental properties and have spare components for every part of every system. Over 40 years the only unexpected failures I've experienced have been a couple of thermo-couples, a transformer and an electronic low water cutoff.

I do good maintenance, but many controls are over 10 years old. Having spare parts helps me sleep well on cold nights. Now back in the days of burning oil, I spent many nights blowing out oil lines and changing nozzles and filters, but those years are behind me.
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    I have a number of rental properties and have spare components for every part of every system. Over 40 years the only unexpected failures I've experienced have been a couple of thermo-couples, a transformer and an electronic low water cutoff. I do good maintenance, but many controls are over 10 years old. Having spare parts helps me sleep well on cold nights. Now back in the days of burning oil, I spent many nights blowing out oil lines and changing nozzles and filters, but those years are behind me.

Really appreciate the feedback.  Yes, I've started accumulating the spares and scheduled a local plumber who does combustion check and tune to come and look. 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    So, please tell me if I understand this system:

The main gas combo valve has a 1/4 pilot gas line that has a tee installed to a second pilot light.

You light the first pilot in the usual manner. That is holding the magnet on in the gas valve.

The 2nd pilot is spewing gas until you light it.

The 2nd pilot activates the Baso magnet and closes the electric switch which is in series with the gas control safeties.

So if the first pilot fails then all gas is off.

If the 2nd pilot fails then main gas valve will not energize.
    mattmia2
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    Sounds right but I didn't install it but I do see the t on the 1/4" line between the pilots.  Last year after I had a local plumbing company do the annual inspection, after they left the pilots wouldn't light up.  I called them back and they said the baso button probably needed to be pressed down.  I pressed it and everything lit up fine.  
  • mattmia2
    Options
    I assumed that both pilots were only controlled by a manual valve because that is the age of the equipment but it looks like the pilot does come off the main valve.